Is this possible? Resistance Question...

badride5

Joined May 29, 2008
Hello and thank you in advance. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

If I have a guage that reads from a sensor in resistance from 158 Ohms Full to 16 Ohms empty but use a sensor that outputs 10 Ohms Full and 73 Ohms emtpy is there a way to adapt and make the gauge function using the old sensor?

I thought it will be simple by using a resistor but the sender goes in the opposite direction:

The one I have: 10 Full - 73 Empty
The one I need: 158 Full - 16 Empty

Is this at all possible (I don't think so)? I can change the sender to the newer style but I have rewired the whole system and every thing works great, I would like to be able to tackle this one as well for the sake of doing it...and it also means a lot of work to get to it. =)

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The gauge may work as an ammeter that registers the amount of current through it. That implies a calibrated current source. Using a sender with a different resistance will make the gauge read incorrectly. The resistance changing the wrong way won't help much, either.

Can you post up a schematic of the gas gauge circuit? It's always possible that a resistor change and swapping terminals can get it to work.