Is this possible? Resistance Question...

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by badride5, May 29, 2008.

  1. badride5

    Thread Starter New Member

    May 29, 2008
    Hello and thank you in advance. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

    If I have a guage that reads from a sensor in resistance from 158 Ohms Full to 16 Ohms empty but use a sensor that outputs 10 Ohms Full and 73 Ohms emtpy is there a way to adapt and make the gauge function using the old sensor?

    I thought it will be simple by using a resistor but the sender goes in the opposite direction:

    The one I have: 10 Full - 73 Empty
    The one I need: 158 Full - 16 Empty

    Is this at all possible (I don't think so)? I can change the sender to the newer style but I have rewired the whole system and every thing works great, I would like to be able to tackle this one as well for the sake of doing it...and it also means a lot of work to get to it. =)
  2. nanovate

    Distinguished Member

    May 7, 2007
    Can you post a partnumber or datasheet of these sensors?
  3. beenthere

    Retired Moderator

    Apr 20, 2004
    The gauge may work as an ammeter that registers the amount of current through it. That implies a calibrated current source. Using a sender with a different resistance will make the gauge read incorrectly. The resistance changing the wrong way won't help much, either.

    Can you post up a schematic of the gas gauge circuit? It's always possible that a resistor change and swapping terminals can get it to work.