Is this for real

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
It is similar in capacity to the Optima Yellowtops I used, they worked fine with a 300A alternator added. They are in the same price range as well.

The battery was fine with the stock alternator, until the system was run for a few minutes, then the alternator regulator or diodes would blow.

That was on a system just over 2kW.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
So to say it is bogus.....

It's the same as any SLA.

The reviews are saying that the dimming stops when they put THAT battery near the amp. But what I think is any SLA with proper AH will help as long as it is close to the Amp. The surges can be handled in the same way as a super cap.

Then why all the hustle...

Is it just a marketing scam ?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Most people who deem themselves 'audiophiles' are a few sandwiches short of full picnic.

Separating a fool from his money is a time honored sales tradition :)

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
There is some truth to this.

The ESR of the battery can be lowered, and capacitance increased by doing what they say they did.

Extra plates, tighter together, without touching, is like adding a capacitor to the battery.

The thing is, you can buy a 16v 1 farad capacitor to your system for under $100us.

So, the batter CAN work like stated, but there is no real reason to use it.

For the non-technically minded, audiophiles see: BETTER THAN WHAT YOU HAVE, and want it.

I would rather pay the $100 for a cap than $400 for a battery.

[ed]
I want to the manufacturers website and looked for a datasheet to no avail.

I read through the FAQ and came across this gem:
A Kinetik HC600 has many times more stored energy than a 100 farad capacitor.
http://www.kinetikaudio.com/2009/faq.asp

See, this is marketing at work.

Most consumers shopping for this product has heard of, or even used large caps for car audio, so the common knowledge is that they are powerful.

What they dont understand is how caps work. By not understanding the speed in which they can dump power, they read this line and think: This is 100 times BETTER than a 1 farad cap.

[/ed]

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
The system I used had 4 Farads of caps at the amps, 1F for every 500 Watts, across 3 amplifiers, 1kW sub had 2, 500W low-mid bass had 1, and mid-high amp had one.

There as a 000 cable going from the optima battery under the hood to the optima battery near the amps. This was done due to voltage drops on large transients. When drawing around 200 amps peak, even heavy gauge wire has a voltage drop.

It was interesting for a while. None of it was DIY, but it sounded excellent. Somebody brought it to a contest and it topped out at over 150dB SPL before hitting 1% distortion. That run broke the back window, though.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
R!f@@ - Glad to see that your not in jail.:p:D Or do they have internet in Maldives jail? (reference to the sewing machine incident)