Is this correct? (grammar)

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Hello, I'm designing the fronto of an audio amplifier (actually it is Taurus), and I want it to have the following:
"LM3875-Driven Hi-End Stereo Amplifier"

Is this correct? Or is this preferable?
"LM3875-Powered Hi-End Stereo Amplifier"

or
"LM3875-Based Hi-End Stereo Amplifier"

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: Take a look at the drawing.
front.jpg

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Since it is being used as a logo, you can say whatever you want. Grammar is not really a big issue. Have you considered some even shorter versions, such as:

LM3875 Hi-End Stereo Amplifier
Advanced LM3875 Stereo Amplifier

And so forth.

John

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I 'm not sure about it. I find both "-" and without it cases when using the word driven. Maybe someone with English as their native language can tell us. I would go without it, I guess.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
For proper grammar, serial nouns are usually hyphenated when used as adjectives and coming before the main noun. Thus, 28-year-old man. Without the hyphens, one occasionally can be ambiguous. Compare the meanings of "old horse trainer" (the trainer is old) vs. "old-horse trainer" (the trainer trains old horses). Usually there is no ambiguity from context, but ambiguities when present can be humorous.

However, in the context of how you are using it, I wouldn't worry.

John

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
I 'm not sure about it. I find both "-" and without it cases when using the word driven. Maybe someone with English as their native language can tell us. I would go without it, I guess.
The same here, hence my doubt.

Since it is being used as a logo, you can say whatever you want. Grammar is not really a big issue. Have you considered some even shorter versions, such as:

LM3875 Hi-End Stereo Amplifier
Advanced LM3875 Stereo Amplifier
Thanks John. I've considered "LM3875 Hi-End Stereo Amplifier", but people might interpret "LM3875" as the model and "Taurus" as the make. "Taurus" is meant to be the model, not the make.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
A lot of electronic jargon and abbreviations are used in sales. Remember when double-oversampling and FET input were the rage? I just checked my 20 year-old radio. It says, "Quartz Synthesized Tuner Amplifier." No hyphens and obviously ambiguous.

I still suggest that you go with what looks good. You may want to remember in the world of branding, service marks, and trademarks, not being grammatically correct can be an advantage. If the label is absolutely grammatically correct, a competitor may use it and claim it was an ordinary description, not your brand/trademark.

A common example of that is the absence of plural and other forms in trademarks. Thus, you can have a Coke, or a dozen Coke (not Cokes). Xerox is another example. It is not a verb.

John

EDIT: It just occurred to me that LM3785 might itself be trademarked. I would definitely check into that before using it as part of a product's name.

EDIT2: It does not appear to be registered with the USPTO: http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=searchss&state=4010:vpb7ls.1.1

Last edited: