Is this a good wind turbine/solar charge controller?

jwilli

Joined Apr 21, 2009
I have been working tirelessly on building my own charge controller for a wind turbine and a small solar panel on my property. I am looking for one controller to handle both devices.

After pulling my hair out for quite a while, I'm ready to just buy a nice, reliable already made controller, install it, and be done!

The one I have really been looking at is the Orotronics CHC400 controller:

http://www.orotronics.com/chc400-charge-controller-p-73.html

I'm looking for the opinions of anyone with any experience with similar devices... how does this look in your opinion? It's my favorite in the price range so far.

Thanks!!!

jwilli

Joined Apr 21, 2009
Does it work outside?
They do not offer any refunds or exchanges ...

I'd ask for complete specifications before buying it.
I saw that they have the same item on ebay with a 7 day return policy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170356024011

I emailed and they said that the box itself is rainproof but the LED's and the front voltmeter shouldn't be in the weather. It's alright because I'm going to mount my charge controller near my batteries which are indoors anyway. I may go for the auction and see if I can grab it cheaper than on their website...

nanovate

Joined May 7, 2007
I assume that you are controlling a charge on a lead-acid battery. Do they tell you what the charging set points are? Are they temperature compensated? If your batteries and this controller are inside a temperature controlled environment then you do not have to worry much. But if the ambient temperature can get hot or cold then the controller needs to be able to compensate by adjusting the setpoints (float voltage, HV cutoff etc). Also in high temperature conditions and high current condition the device needs to be able to operate correctly. I do not see any specifications.

Chas73

Joined Oct 5, 2009
Orotronics is a scam! The guy took the money from ebayers and never shipped the controller. I know I was one of them that got taken in by this guy in Sanford Florida!!! Now he has no web site he has taken it of the net! No email, no phone numbers, no contact!

Last edited:

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
You can check out my controller that I made, it works for solar, wind and hydro generators 12 and 24 volt systems..... very simple, and easy to use... >>> http://www.morse-code.com/id184.htm

Similar in function to a lot of controllers available on the market and also gives you the ability to divert the incoming power once the batteries are fully charged......

Umar27

Joined Dec 7, 2014
i have built 555 timer wind/solar charge
controller... Its working good. Circuit is powered by LM7805 .
. i have to ask that is this voltage regulator powered through
battery voltage or input wind/solar voltage??

=> I have observed that its a just switching circuit that switch
between dump load and battery. plz tell me that How a variable
charge coming from input can be made uniform to charge the battery?
Which is the component that is doing this job(making variable charge(current)
uniform )?
. I will appreciate if you reply me quick bcoz i am doing my final
year project and time remaining is very short.. REGARDS

UMAR