Is there negative Voltage References?

PSIR

Joined Apr 23, 2008
Hi Everyone,

Is there negative Voltage References?
I am looking for -2.5V Voltage Reference IC.
Can anybody recommand part number or brand of a product to me.

Best Regard

Last edited:

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Ah, google must be down in Tawain, let me help you then:

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/lm237.html
That's not a reference, it's a regulator. Regulators generally are not as precise or as stable as references. Also, references are not designed to carry significant current.

If you know how to use a zener as a negative reference, you can use a shunt reference IC (2 or 3 pin) the same way.
Series references (at least 3 pins) are generally positive output devices, but they can be used as negative references. See AN42 from Linear technology for some ideas.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I suggest you Google this phrase negative voltage reference. Then select a few options. And take them back here for comments. Remember always to check availability and package type before you made your final design.

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
Too simple!

The TL431 circuit shows (+) power at ground and the (-) power feeding the circuit. That is not possible if you only have one positive supply to work with that has (-) at ground, like normal.

Look at the LM317/350/338 data sheets for making adjustable regulators. Their adjustable output starts at +1.25 volts. If you need to start at 0 volts, you need a negative voltage to supply -1.25 for the regulator which you can't get with a negative grounded supply.

So far, a small switching inverter like a MC34063 is as close as I can get to cheap, simple, compact reversed power.

Last edited:

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Clearly, if there is no existing negative supply one would need to be created, either at the desired reference value, or a more negative value to allow for regulation.

Perhaps the OP merely had difficulty understanding that a typical shunt reference device can be used for either polarity, given suitable supply rails.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
By the way. Why do you need a negative reference? Can your problem be solved with a common positive reference and a summing opamp configuration.