Is there any Sensor for determine Bacteria and virus for my Iot Project?

ikyu arqie

Joined May 10, 2018
Hello everyone, I have an project on internet of things
First off all plase pardon me for my english!

I want to make a device that can detect a viruses or bacteria, then can automatically controlled over internet. The Idea is That The device should be placed on the river nowhere in my country, then it should upload the data about the condition of the water in that river..

Is there any Sensor maybe can i use? or i need to make it ?
Thanks for your time

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
You say detect, not identify. There is a distinct difference and the following is focused on detection only.

Way back in the Mars Viking lander days (1960's early 1970's), detection of ATP was used as a surrogate for detection life -- maybe it still is. Firefly luciferin/luciferase is exquisitely sensitive for detecting ATP. In theory it can detect just a few molecules of ATP. The problem is, of course, the high background of ATP. If you want to pursue that approach, you would simply detect the production of light from the luciferin/luciferase +ATP reaction. It will not do well with viruses, but has been used to detect bacteria in urine and maybe life on Mars (inconclusive results), for example. Maybe, you can just change your project to detecting ATP in rivers.

A second approach would need to use sampling and a rapid culture system. Detection of bacterial growth in cultures can be done by various methods. One method that achieved widespread use was based on sensitive detection of CO2 from bacterial metabolism. That method has been used to detect bacteria in blood and other cultures. A similar approach based on electrical conductivity was also developed.

Today, one would probably go after microbial DNA solid state methods. Again, such methods would probably require sampling.

Continuous flow methods, e.g, using laser flow cytometry, have not been very successful as of several years ago. Perhaps modern signal analysis will allow differentiation of microbial cells from other particles better. There are stains that bacteria pick up preferentially, which might help.

Detection of viruses is a whole other game. Detection of nucleic acids could be considered, but there are significant problems with that approach. A sampling method with enrichment or amplification (e.g, PCR) might be considered.