Is there an amplifier that can run two small speakers instead of one

ZAKNORAN

Joined Feb 26, 2019
hi Geeks

I have 2.1 sound system and the two speakers are ok , there is two rca output each for One speaker but i need to connect two speakers to each rca to make four speakers instead of two!!

Is there a simple amp to connect it to the rca output and connect the two speakers to it to get the enough power to run the two speakers ( i need two amps each for one rca output)

Also I'm wondering whether I'm be able to amplify the output with transistor whiteout needing external power for amp .

Please help me

Thanks

ZAKNORAN

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I suspect that the RCA outputs are each designed to feed one 8 ohm speaker. When two speakers are paralleled then the amplifier and/or its power supply is overloaded and might be destroyed.

You do not need an amplifier that drives two speakers per channel, instead you need a second amplifier and power supply for it the same as the ones you have. The second amplifier and power supply will drive the second set of speakers.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Same question as AG - what are the speakers you have now? Manufacturer / model number / photos front, rear, and any labels. This information will same many many electrons from an early repositioning by not playing 20 questions.

ak

rsjsouza

Joined Apr 21, 2014
hi Geeks

I have 2.1 sound system and the two speakers are ok , there is two rca output each for One speaker but i need to connect two speakers to each rca to make four speakers instead of two!!
The connection of speakers to the output of an amplifier will forcefully require knowing what is its designed output impedance. If your current amplifier is designed for 8Ω, you could get away connecting two 16Ω speakers in parallel on each output. That or connecting two 4Ω speakers in series on each output. That will not require any modifications to your existing system but the volume per speaker will be reduced.

(image source: this question)

If you intend to keep the two existing speakers, you will have to use a power amplifier that can drive the two additional speakers. Otherwise you may damage the output of your existing amplifier.

Also, as others have asked, what is the manufacturer and model number of the amplifier in question?

mvas

Joined Jun 19, 2017
OK, your amplifier does not like your Speakers connected in Parallel.
But, some Amplifiers will tolerate "Series - Connected" speakers
You can test this for yourself, by cutting and splicing your (parallel) Y-Cables, into Series cables
When in "Series", compare the Volume from each pair of speakers
If the "Series - Connected" configuration works, then consider an A-B SERIES Speaker Switch ( like ) ...
https://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=7389

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Speakers in series sound "boomy" like a bongo drum because they no longer have the extremely low output impedance of the amplifier to damp their resonances. Two identical speakers in series sound even worse because a resonating 8 ohm speaker is frequently 70 ohms.