Is there a way for mods to see how many ignores people have?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Is there a way for mods to see how many ignores people have? Might be a good way to tip off mods to problem users. Sort of a top ten list. :) But I imagine that is already obvious? ;)

I don't ever recall ignoring so many users in such a short period of time. In past years, it has been months maybe a year or two before I ignored someone. In the past 2 weeks, I have ignored at least 2 members.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Is there a way for mods to see how many ignores people have? Might be a good way to tip off mods to problem users. Sort of a top ten list. :) But I imagine that is already obvious? ;)

I don't ever recall ignoring so many users in such a short period of time. In past years, it has been months maybe a year or two before I ignored someone. In the past 2 weeks, I have ignored at least 2 members.
Not that I am aware of. I can't even see who, or how many, members are on a particular members ignore list, let along how many people are ignoring a particular member (which is what I'm assuming you mean). We can edit a few things on a member's profile page, but they all fall into the category of publicly visible things like their avatar and signature so that we can change or delete items that violate the ToS.

I'm sure an admin could write a query to get at that information (and they might have that capability built in with their level of permissions).

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
When @spinnaker put @ClassOfZero on his ignore list, suddenly his post disappeared from the Thread " Tankless Water Heater"

Was this due to @ClassOfZero deletion of his post or was it caused by @spinnaker's ignore?
Most likely it was due to moderator action, as was the deletion of his thread calling AACers a bunch of <insert unprintable name here>s.

Plus, how do you know your on someone's ignore list?
You don't. You can only suspect it, in the event they don't seem to ever notice your posts.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hello,
@spinnaker , No we can not see who you have on the ignore list.
We only can see who you follow and who are following you.

Bertus

I didn't mean for you to be able to see who I have on my list. I meant for you to be able to see how many ignores a user gets in total. Lots of ignores means a problem user.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Most likely it was due to moderator action, as was the deletion of his thread calling AACers a bunch of <insert unprintable name here>s.

You don't. You can only suspect it, in the event they don't seem to ever notice your posts.
At least @spinnaker told him he hit his ignore list. Which I agree with, but we should at least be able to see if someone has and stop posting to their "Threads" entirely.

kv

ClassOfZero

Joined Dec 28, 2016
Let me guess, Mr Spinnaker are these the people you are suggesting ?
Most likely it was due to moderator action, as was the deletion of his thread calling AACers a bunch of <insert unprintable name here>s

I did not refer to ALL members in that way, only a few that feel the need to be somewhat dismissive of newer members (the choice of language used was chosen to entice a response, as I feeling it would be dismissed due to low post count). It was my mistake in assuming, yes I realise that is a bad thing to do, that a post was judged on it's merits alone, good, bad or causing public outrage, not on the number of posts one had made.
As far as I can tell, through experimentation only mods have the ability to delete threads. One can delete ones own posts.

This is all I will say on the matter, if anyone would like to debate this in private, as not to clog the public gallery with this I am open to criticism, you have my word that it will be conducted in a gentlemanly manner and you are free to share the unedited conversation with who ever you like.

I do feel the moderators have been overly kind to myself in this issue.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What Spinnaker is suggesting is very straight-forward and has nothing to do with any one member specifically. He is merely saying that if some member is being ignored by significantly more members that most, that there might be a reason for that and that it might be a good idea for the mods to monitor that member more closely to see if that reason might justify a warning or further action. May it would and maybe it wouldn't, but since the mods only see a tiny fraction of posts it might be a way of automatically bringing a troublesome member to our attention. I don't know how well it would work in serving that purpose, but I see the logic. Currently we primarily rely on members reporting troublesome posts and we take it from there. My guess is that a member that prompts lots of people to ignore them is also going to prompt others to report them, so the goal may already be being achieved, at least for the most part. But it's a moot point because we don't have access to the Ignore lists, either to see who a specific member is ignoring nor to see how many people are ignoring a specific member.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
What Spinnaker is suggesting is very straight-forward and has nothing to do with any one member specifically. He is merely saying that if some member is being ignored by significantly more members that most, that there might be a reason for that and that it might be a good idea for the mods to monitor that member more closely to see if that reason might justify a warning or further action. May it would and maybe it wouldn't, but since the mods only see a tiny fraction of posts it might be a way of automatically bringing a troublesome member to our attention. I don't know how well it would work in serving that purpose, but I see the logic. Currently we primarily rely on members reporting troublesome posts and we take it from there. My guess is that a member that prompts lots of people to ignore them is also going to prompt others to report them, so the goal may already be being achieved, at least for the most part. But it's a moot point because we don't have access to the Ignore lists, either to see who a specific member is ignoring nor to see how many people are ignoring a specific member.
Doesn't report work for that?

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
What report?
The report button. I've only used it once or twice for lines circuits, but it seems like it would work if someone was being nasty.
Having said that, it seems like it's pretty simple to not look at a thread that you know full well is kind of political in nature.
Maybe people are just irresistibly drawn to them.:D
I have threads like that in other parts of the forum and it works fine for me.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
that there might be a reason for that and that it might be a good idea for the mods to monitor that member more closely to see if that reason might justify a warning or further action.
It also creates an echo chamber filled with like minded people, of clicks, of intolerance, otherwise known as mobs.

Such actions essentially assume that those members decisions are righteous and justified, without any prior justification.

Each member should be judged on his or her actions, not the actions or reactions of other members..