Is there a doctor in the forum

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Can you narrow the question a little? Why do you need to know that information? I suspect most of us have seen a family doctor, general practitioner, internist, and/or other primary care physician (PCP) in the last 5 years of so. Did you strictly mean family doctor as opposed to the other PCP's?

John

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I am a retired Dr.

Doctor of LOVE. ;)

Ok, not really. But I have been to plenty of doctors and emergency rooms. (Rough hobbies as a youth)
I work with doctors every day.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
PoooooooooH!
seriously guys.. I like some one good to check some test results for me. It's about my little sis. I have trust issues here. So If you guys know any one or might consider doing me a favor to show the results I have and just tell me what the test means. This way I can compare. And if any one here(practitioners here) is trying to pull a no. on me.. so god help him...

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I like some one good to check some test results for me. It's about my little sis. I have trust issues here.
I was concerned that is where this question was headed, and I suspect the test is not a simple glucose level. But even if it were, a diagnosis of high, low, or indeterminant can depend on knowing factors that either you do not know or should not be discussed here. I suspect any good physician would feel the same way.

Here is some general advice:

1) The patient should be the one asking the questions, not her brother, unless you are her legal guardian.

2) A doctor-patient relationship needs to be established. In other words, the patient (or guardian) will need to respond truthfully and in confidence to the physician.

3) She should be seen by a physician. There are surely some in your area, if not, she may have to travel. Is there a medical college or training facility nearby? You may not have a medical college per se, but physicians trained elsewhere may come to your town for further training. Training places are not necessarily the best places for care, but they usually offer a credible level of diagnostic expertise. Forget everything you have seen on House.

4) If you need a physician referral, consider going to your local hospital, ask to see the pathologist, and ask that physician for a referral. Pathologists see the work of all the physicians at a hospital and rarely have any conflicts of interest in terms of patient care. At least in the US, such conflicts -- like a business partner who is in Family Medicine -- are illegal.

5) Go to a reputable source of information, like the Mayo Clinic book on health care. Be very leery of just asking a question on the Internet.

6) If it is a very serious condition, you may end up having to travel. Proper diagnosis is usually more important than follow-up treatment -- even for many surgical conditions. If you want to come to the US, I would be more than happy to give you names and contact information for some of our better medical facilities. However, there are great facilities much closer to you, I am sure.

Please give my regards to your sister. I hope it is not a serious condition and everything will work out well.

John

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Thank you john for ur concern.
During her childhood she had a heart problem and diagnostic here shows a hole in the heart. Further treatment cannot be done here and We wasn't satisfied by the way it is done here. They said she needs an operation. I doubt that, so I took her to India and their diagnostic shows a minor hole and they said it will seal in due time and it is nothing to be too concerned about, all she needed was proper rest as less oxygen was distributed. She never had to operate and she did fine. You donno john, the medical service here is more like money making process rather than a community service. I am not afraid and I will say it again and again that the doctors here are more or less bribed. The Service here will drain you and nothing will be done better or no one will get better, it's been going on for years.
None of you ever realize how we survive here. You see me here, happy and having fun, this is where I try to take my mind off these things, Last nights riot was hell, I was lucky to be alive, These things are planned and done to gain control and we the one suffering. I am shedding tears right now, as I have my family, being eldest I am the one who has to deal with these kind of things. Most of us are not aware of these things and are not educated. I am aware because I spent all of time goggling and reading so many things that practically it is impossible for some to con me, unless I let it happen just for the heck of it.
I am very much aware of the things that go around and nobody in my family has a clue of the games the leaders are playing. I will not anyone do anything to my family and that's why I try every resource I have.
Lately you guys are the friends that I never had, I mean I never met u but I know in my heart none of you, even though we different in religion, are like individuals here. I have more respect for you than nay one here. Besides my few trust worthy friends,
I donno medicine, But I know when doctors started talking gibberish.
None of them say the same thing.
She is now 8 months pregnant and recently she started to feel tired so we did some tests and the one doctor is saying she needs to be admitted.
Another is saying it may be due to pregnancy and it's some sort of disease like hepatitis something. that is exactly what he said, even they are not sure. I mean wht the *** are the tests for, we have to spent so much on these test over and over again.This is the routine.
So I like to see if any of you know any one that can just go via three sheets of paper and explain the stuff. By this I can just hopefully decide what to do or is anything wrong with her. Other than the giddiness she is fine and well.

It's Ok if you guys hesitate on these things I understand. It's just that I donno where else to go for help. :(

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Your sister is pregnant, has a congenital heart defect that may or may not have been symptomatic when she was younger, and she is now getting tired more easily than usual. It could be nothing. It could be serious. A local doctor suggested that hepatitis could also cause her to get tired more easily. That doctor may have just been giving you a differential diagnosis for increased fatigue. You remember hearing "hepatitis" and got more worried than before. There are lots of other things than can cause it, including just being 8 months pregnant.

No responsible physician is going to give you diagnostic or treatment advice given that situation without actually seeing your sister.

Since you didn't mention the type of heart defect she has, here are some things you may want to read about two of the more common kinds:

1) Patent foramen ovale (atrial septal defect) is very common and is often diagnosed only at autopsy. That is, it is an incidental finding and usually asymptomatic. See:
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/disorders/congenital/pfo.aspx
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/patent-foramen-ovale/DS00728

2) Ventricular septal defects (VSD) can also be asymptomatic, but are more likely to be picked up prior to death, even though they may not be causing serious symptoms. See: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=11066

In either case (more likely with VSD), pregnancy can make symptoms worse. At 8 months of pregnancy, it is a tough call what to do. Most women get tired then.

There are lots of questions and diagnostic things that can and perhaps some should be done. In general, given her pregnancy, her gynecologist and cardiologist should be calling the shots.

My advice about talking to the local pathologist is unchanged. If you cannot get good care in the Maldives, then you may need to go to India. Egypt, Israel, or almost any European country are other possibilities. South Africa used to have excellent medical care, but I don't know what it is like there today.

I understand your frustration in trying to get answers, but really, it is not something that can be done over the phone or Internet.

John

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Google doctors without borders,they do a lot of good work,
I am sure the guys will agree,you have computer experience
and senitivity to get results. Give it a try you got nothing to
lose. Show the beauiful Island pictures,I can't think of a doctor or nurse
that wouldn't like to go to a Island In the pacific,you guy agree,you know
our doctors. They can afford to do It also.Lets test something,someone
start a help Riafff Petiton thread,lets see how many of our members use
there forum name to help Riaff,then he can reference the site and petition
for help.It will be the longest thread yet,enough to Impress anyone,
Lets do It now.

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
A very important piece of equiptment you should have around the house is a blood pressure monitor. They are available in the US in grocery stores.

If the hole in her heart is from ventricle to ventricle, and not into the pericardium, there may not be a problem with blood loss, but there will be a problem with pressure.

The monitor will keep you informed of the pressure changes. This is VERY important especially in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy. Pressures will swing. The important thing is that she get immediate medical attention if her pressure falls to low, or rises too high.

That can be bad for her, and can cause problems with the baby.

Mothers with heart defects, ANY defect, are considered high-risk.

She should be monitored prior to going into labor.

Is she going to deliver at home or in a hospital?

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Go to Doctors without Borders,see slide show,all over the world.
Check It out Riaff and post what you think. Maybe In time she
could get her heart repaired.Are you near Sir Lanka.

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
She will be delivered in the hospital.
I went through the net comparing the lab results.
Uric acid level is higher than the labs reference range, but in wiki according to AMA they are with in limits. Bilirubin, alkaline phosphates and GGT are showing more than the range, I cannot find any range in wiki.
All these tells me that the liver is acting up and still it may be normal.
I think you guys may be right and I am over reacting, it may be due to the pregnancy last stage or something. She is now doing fine and mom is always with her. U know the baby is some one we all are looking forward to.
I still think the guys here are trying to force us into doing more tests, but I will do a test in next month. At the last stages I cannot take any risk given her heart condition. But her heart shows no sign of the hole during the last check up.
So being the first baby, we are quite concerned.
Oh by the way, my angel is adapted and I am not yet married. ( this q will arise sometime later, so I thought I'll let u all know)
My little sis means more to me then my life, she was my whole world when she was young, little and ever so cuddly. God I missed those days.

You know what. This place gives me hope sometimes, when I have some to guide me. I really never thought of Google at the time. The info did calm me down, thanks to all. No need to be so upset on my account.

But let me tell you one thing before hand.
When she goes into labor I will be there cause I know the doctors will say scissoring is needed. This **** always comes up. I let you know how this goes. I have a commitment not to allow this. I do not know why but this technique always bothered me. cause cutting open up that area is not done in the early days as far as I know, so why heck they cutting everyone they get there hands on.

Anyways thanks and god bless u all.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Rifaa. a surgical cut is much better than a "rip" or a tear.
Many times it is not needed, but it can relieve undue discomfort. I had a girlfriend who gave birth with the same "no cutting" on her mind. She told the doctor, so they did not cut her.

Well, she ripped to her anus. She was sitting on a doughnut pillow for 4 weeks after.

I understand your concern. And I do not pretend to understand your surroundings. I have no idea about how things work in the Maldives. I wish you could take your doctors word as more than a financial fish-hook.

good luck my friend.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Rifaa. a surgical cut is much better than a "rip" or a tear.
Many times it is not needed, but it can relieve undue discomfort. I had a girlfriend who gave birth with the same "no cutting" on her mind. She told the doctor, so they did not cut her.

Well, she ripped to her anus. She was sitting on a doughnut pillow for 4 weeks after.

I understand your concern. And I do not pretend to understand your surroundings. I have no idea about how things work in the Maldives. I wish you could take your doctors word as more than a financial fish-hook.

good luck my friend.
I have agree with with Retched on this one, I'm no expert, but it is pretty much standard practice everywhere as far as I know. It has to do with healing time, if the tissue tears you are looking at a much longer recovery do to the bruising and uneven match, where scissors allow healing to begin almost immediately and do not bruise.

Thank god I was born a man. Childbirth is a miracle, but I don't want to be the one doing it.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I was in a very similar situation when I was young. I was diagnosed with a heart murmer when I was 7. They said it would close up in time and don't worry about it, just get EKG's yearly. Well that was 25 years ago and I'm still kickin! My doc currently says he hears the hole and the type of hole it is will tend to need surgury when I'm in my 50's. Which is 15 years out. Many many many people have holes in their heart, I know its shocking when you first hear it and there are many different types. But a murmer is actually very common. I personally know of 4 other friends or family friends that have them. I had no idea till it just came up in conversation. Also you will want her to be very carefull going to the dentist. This is the most dangerous thing to a hole in the heart. If you don't take 3000mg of antibiotics before anywork you can get a heart infection.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR, JUST SOME DUDE WITH A HOLE IN HIS HEART TOO. PLEASE TELL YOUR SIS THIS IS VERY COMMON AND DON'T GO OVERBOARD TILL YOU GET MORE RESULTS.

Chances are you will need to personally go get another EKG or ultrasound from another doctor.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Guys, I thought that the heart problem was more serious
that why I tried to rally the members.For education and
knowledge you should check out Doctors with out Borders.
There's jobs there to,and list all the countries where they are
located and have been,the maldives Is on the website when
you search.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
No buddy ,, the heart wasn't the main concern. Her heart is doing just fine as it seems.
The problem was that the doctor said she had to be admitted. I know she is much better than to be admitted, they did tried to pull a no. on us but did not worked.
She is healthy as a horse.
Thanks though