Is there a device that can sense load on a circuit even if the circut isnt powered up

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Where im staying in South Africa we can go for prolonged periods of time without supply from the grid so i would also like to save my batteries and the equipment available to us is very expensive and the cheeper options isnt always very safe therefor i would not want it to be on unattended
If you don't want it to be on while unattended, then leave it off. If power goes out while no one's there, then you don't want it coming on anyway (since it would be unattended). If power goes out while someone is there, they can turn it on.

This still doesn't answer the question of just why you think it will burn out the transformer if there isn't a load attached.

JcR

Joined Aug 15, 2017
If you don't want it to be on while unattended, then leave it off. If power goes out while no one's there, then you don't want it coming on anyway (since it would be unattended). If power goes out while someone is there, they can turn it on.

This still doesn't answer the question of just why you think it will burn out the transformer if there isn't a load attached.
I have in the past had transformers burn out due to forgetting it on without putting load on them
I would like the system to be self control to eleminate the human error factor

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
As an interlock you can put a diode and a resistor at the load. The first part of the turn-on sequence for the alternator is to test for the presence of resistance near the value of the resistor you have in series at the load, and the test is for the resistance in both polarities. This test is repeated several times during the sequence. If the resistor is not detected at the expected polarity or is detected at the polarity at which it is not supposed to be detected, the sequence ends and an alarm is sounded. It is safest if the sequencer is made with logic chips rather than a microcontroller.

I designed the above for a studio TV camera control unit so it could check to make sure the camera cable really was connected to the camera before sending 120 VAC down the cable. Apparently this was a pretty good idea because I later noticed that RCA had done the same thing with one of their studio cameras.

JcR

Joined Aug 15, 2017
As an interlock you can put a diode and a resistor at the load. The first part of the turn-on sequence for the alternator is to test for the presence of resistance near the value of the resistor you have in series at the load, and the test is for the resistance in both polarities. This test is repeated several times during the sequence. If the resistor is not detected at the expected polarity or is detected at the polarity at which it is not detected, the sequence ends and an alarm is sounded. It is safest if the sequencer is made with logic chips rather than a microcontroller.

I designed the above for a studio TV camera control unit so it could check to make sure the camera cable really was connected to the camera before sending 120 VAC down the cable. Apparently this was a pretty good idea because I later noticed that RCA had done the same thing with one of their studio cameras.
That sounds pretty much what im looking for because if there no load obviously insted of a alarm i can trigger a relay to switch of the battery