Is sleeping at night different from sleeping at daytime?

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
Hello mates,

It makes me wonder when my teacher told us that sleeping at night and sleeping at daytime is different. It makes me really wonder, as I said.

Was that true? I know we, humans, should not sleep in daytime. But for some reasons, some people do so like secret.:p

Please, as usual, make it clear to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lightfire

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I am third shift, I go to work at 10PM, I get out 6:30AM. I sleep during the day. During the weekend I sleep at night, because the sleep during the day is not as restful. Your teacher is almost right, but people do what they have to. I have read more than one article that shows research it is not as healthy and tends to shorten peoples lifespan.

For the record I hate it, but it pays 14% more (shift premium) and I would like dealing with the managers during the day even less.

TBayBoy

Joined May 25, 2011
In general we are creatures who are awake during the day and asleep at night, thousands of years have imprinted that pattern on us; however, we can modify this but it comes at a physical cost, so many organization put a premium on the altered state working. All is not rosy though, there have been a few highly publicized incidents where employees weren't given the time needed to modify their internal clocks, thus were unable to perform the tasks properly.

Two that come to mind is a freight train in Canada colliding with a passenger train with the crew apparently incapacitated by sleep, and a China Airlines going into a spiral dive from 40,000 feet to around 10,000 feet before recovery with crew exhaustion being a major cause.

PatM

Joined Dec 31, 2010
People in high latitudes have months of mostly daylight and then months of mostly night.
They seem to adapt.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I used to be in the U.S. Navy, on a submarine. There is no sunlight inside a giant sealed steel tube under water. When we would go out to sea, in the absence of sun cycle there was no reason to remain on 24hr days. We operated on 18hr days. Supposedly a Navy test showed it was more efficient. 6hrs of sleep, followed by 6hrs of working at your primary task, followed by 6hrs of any secondary tasks + recreation (supposedly), follwed by 6 hrs of sleep again. The date stayed the same though, so it was confusing sometimes what day it was because every 3rd day you would wake up to the same day twice. The crew was split into 3 shifts, so at any given time 1/3 of the crew was asleep, 1/3 was working, and the other 1/3 was either maintaining equipment or watching movies - at least that's how it was supposed to be. Fire, flooding, collision, and attack drills were performed often and seemingly at random. sometimes it happened that drills would occur on one shift's sleep cycle over and over. You had to learn to get sleep when you could. I recall on more than one occasion not getting a chance to sleep for 3 shifts, or 60+hrs. combine this sleep deprivation with a lower than normal oxygen level and the guys would get rather lethargic. Thankfully, never any grave mistakes were made. I think learning to operate with little or no sleep was part of the point of the exercises.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
I am third shift, I go to work at 10PM, I get out 6:30AM. I sleep during the day. During the weekend I sleep at night, because the sleep during the day is not as restful. Your teacher is almost right, but people do what they have to. I have read more than one article that shows research it is not as healthy and tends to shorten peoples lifespan.

For the record I hate it, but it pays 14% more (shift premium) and I would like dealing with the managers during the day even less.
Oh. I don't want to die yet.:D

Worse is I have only free time at night. I mean my free time is always at night. In day, I am in school. My sleeping routine has been screwed-up years ago. Even though, it is weekend, I still sleep at day instead of night.:D

But why? I sleep 12 hours a day in weekend! But at day not in night!:D

EVEN WORSE IS THAT MY INTERNATIONAL FRIENDS ARE ONLY ONLINE IN NIGHT AS NIGHT IS DAY IN THEIR COUNTRY!!!:D:D:D

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
a number of years ago I engaged a two year project where I worked when I was alert, and slept when I was tired. My schedule was all over the clock without concern of 'being on time'. This period was probably one of my most enjoyable and productive times. Of course I had no other commitments, so spare time was spent suntanning/mountain biking/tennis/running/gym.

Now I have commitments, sleep every evening, and drag my tired ass out of bed in the mornings.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I think it doesn't matter. day or night , it's all relative to where you live on the planet. Especially when you do world travel you notice that it doesn't rellay matter when you sleep. What makes the big difference for me is the daylight. It keeps me from sleeping. And then there is city noise too that doesn't permit having a good sleep quality during the day.

QuadTech

Joined Apr 19, 2011
You'd be amazed at what kind of sleep pattern the human body can adapt to given enough time. However, I remember reading an article a long time ago that said all humans have an internal clock. If you were to stick someone in cave with no sun to keep time by, after a while they would adopt a normal sleep cycle.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One of the problems is we have several different clocks. I think our sleep cycle is naturally 28 hours with no references.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
One thing is find interesting is polyphasic sleep cycles, the most common one being 2.5 hours awake, .5 hours asleep, repeat indefinitely. That's what Einstein did.
The only reason we're used to sleeping at night is the thousands of years of the sun going down. Electricity changes everything.
Personally, I've gotten to the point where I can sleep anywhere, anytime, and get rested (had to do with backpacking in the rockys for 3 weeks, sometimes till 2am).
In my opinion, things would be best if I could sleep when tired, and wake up when I felt like it.
Many studies have shown that naps are very healthy.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
a number of years ago I engaged a two year project where I worked when I was alert, and slept when I was tired. My schedule was all over the clock without concern of 'being on time'. This period was probably one of my most enjoyable and productive times.
One thing is find interesting is polyphasic sleep cycles, the most common one being 2.5 hours awake, .5 hours asleep, repeat indefinitely. That's what Einstein did.
...In my opinion, things would be best if I could sleep when tired, and wake up when I felt like it.
When I finally break free of the whip & the daily grind and start my own business I am going to try this. I think I would need a lot more than .5hrs of sleep though.

I can't wait for that day....

but that's another topic