Completed Project Is it safe to use a 120V 60Hz UPS in a country with 240V 50HZ after step down?

Rahulk70

Joined Dec 16, 2016
Hello folks,
I'm planning to move to a different place and the voltage there is 240V 50Hz. Currently, most of my appliances are 115V except for few 220V devices. Sold most of the high power 115V devices. I do have a few small office devices and a UPS which I would like to take it with me. I know by using an auto stabiliser it can be solved. But if I were to use a regular 1000W step-down transformer, the frequency would be different right? I'm not planning to use any inductive devices just the UPS. Will it heat up the device? or damage it?
Thanks in advance everyone.
Edit: I've read people specifically mention about inductive loads heating and electronic clocks running slower but didn't come across anyone mentioning about UPS or power electronic devices much.

Attachments

Last edited:
You would have to talk to the UPS manufacturer.

I had to buy a UPS for a safety critical system where the UPS would supply power for a few minutes until the generator stated up. APC said that the frequency variation of the generator could potentially cause problems and we had to buy X model.

See: https://blog.tripplite.com/which-type-of-ups-system-works-best-with-a-generator/

Now, I see why an on-line double conversion UPS would be needed.

Double-conversion essentially means the UPS is always on rather than switch. So, as the article states, the switching to UPS power could deplete the batteries, because the UPS would always be on because it's trying to detect the loss of 60 Hz rather than 50 Hz quickly in non double conversion UPS systems.

The double conversion systems are more expensive.

==

FWIW: 50 Hz transformers work on 60 Hz, but not necessarily the other way around. You need more iron in the transformer core at 50 Hz. A lot of transformers are 50/60 Hz. The UPS market is very competitive, so they may try to save a buck.

Last edited:
Check your device, many modern SMPS are capable of working between 47 and 65 Hz over a wide voltage range.
Even if the device is rated at 60Hz, because it was sold in a particular region, it may have a switch or jumper inside or even simply a modular supply with capabilities not printed on the device its-self.

That said if it states 60Hz +/- a few 50 Hz will likely mess it up, badly.

Al

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
You probably can alter the transformer taps inside, as it will more than likely be a two coil primary, just put them in series, 10Hz wont make much difference to the transformer, take the back off and post pictures.

Last edited:

Rahulk70

Joined Dec 16, 2016
You probably can alter the transformer taps inside, as it will more than likely be a two coil primary, just put them in series, 10Hz wont make much difference to the transformer, take the back off and post pictures.
I've added pics of the inside of the UPS after taking of the outer cover. THere is a smaller transformer apart from the big transformer.