Is it possible to work remote as Embedded Software Engineer?

pfelekis

Joined May 5, 2022
Do you work remote or know someone that does, as Embedded software/systems engineer? I am currently searching for my next job and wanted to know if this is possible. Thank you in advance!

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Do you work remote or know someone that does, as Embedded software/systems engineer? I am currently searching for my next job and wanted to know if this is possible. Thank you in advance!
It may largely depend on your ability to produce and debug that software at a remote site. Once upon a time the cost of hardware simulator/emulators was much larger than it is today. It is possible you may have to bear that cost as an investment. The problem is that you really don't know which hardware platform you may be required to use. In your discussions you might want to offer your willingness to invest in equipment as an incentive to hiring you.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
It depends on the meaning of Embedded software/systems engineer.

If you're designing new embedded software for a new embedded system it will be very hard to work completely remotely because it's not the typical applications software grind. Real embedded software development usually requires actual 'buggy/that's a feature' hardware on test equipment to debug low-level errors.

josuah

Joined May 8, 2022
There are also some other kind of Embedded-related work not requiring to be on-site: documentation, testing, code review, communication with clients (support) or with manufactures (feedback) that are themself remote, unless software engineers all work *on* the manufacture, which I doubt... ^_^

tepalia02

Joined May 13, 2022
I live in a South Asian country. Here, a US-based company let its embedded software engineers work from home during the pandemic. I think you will also come across one some opportunities if you keep your eyes on the freelancing platforms.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
It is absolutely possible - POSSIBLE.

Next question, is it likel? Is it likely for an experienced vs new engineer? Is it likely for someone half-way around the world vs same city where a few days per month in the office is possible. Is it likely for someone with a whole lab of equipment vs someone living in a 1-bedroom apartment with a child?