Is it possible to use a buck converter as booster (with a transformer)?

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
This is one idea I have but I am not really sure about it.

Since I have very small ferrite transformers here I want to try it eventually.

The primary has a few turns. The secondary has much thinner wire.

Is it possible to build it as buck converter, with a PNP transistor, but then generate a higher voltage from the secondary winding?

What is the schematic for that? OK simple, I know buck converter, but isn't it correct it is used in continuous mode and no capacitor is charged from the primary inductance?

Would this be a proper circuit?

Or should I simply use a booster circuit + NPN?

I am just curious to do more experiments, using small transformers now or coils, even ringcores. To learn more about it, I do not need to build anything for a specific purpose.

Also a picture from the transformer. It is not a photo Flash transformer, but the secondary has much more windings than the primary.

Also want to try it with a LNK IC eventually. It is not a transformerless supply! Maybe the transformer will just explode, but maybe will work just fine.

Attachments

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Yes I know but what if I don't use a capacitor, short the inductor to ground, and remove energy via the secondary winding?

I was thinking as long as the pulses are short enough so the primary does not saturate, I could get away with that.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Yes I understand that somehow, even if I am of course still learning about these circuits.

My question is if I could use a PNP for a flyback? Or does it even make any difference?
It's not typically done but you could if you used it as a high side switch driving the grounded primary. Normally the low side is switched since NPN's or N-MOSFETS have higher gain, are somewhat faster, and it's easier to drive a low-side switch.