Is it possible to test caps using meter w/o capacitance?

bluecar5556

Joined Jun 9, 2010
Hi, I have a air compressor from the 80's and one of the capacitors is bad. Is it possible to test them using a multimeter without capacitance setting? They are really old and probably in need of replacing, can anyone help me locating new ones? If they are expensive, hopefully it is possible to test them with what I have. Here is images of both capacitors, my guess is one running and one starting capacitor for the 5HP 220 single-phase motor. If you guys can help, it would be greatly appreciated! Craig.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You can use the ohm scale to see if you get a low ohm dip that raises to higher ohms than the meter can measure. You have to play around with the scales until you find the right one so the changes are slow enough for you to see them. Reverse the leads every time you try to test or you won't see anything happen because the capacitor will already be charged in that direction.

I think the metal capacitor is swollen. That's a sure sign that it is bad. You might buy capacitors at an appliance parts store. Each of them is less than $10