Is generating a freq the same as generating a tone?

sciguy77

Joined Dec 15, 2012
Hi,

I'm trying to record analog values with a digital recorder. Basically I have a recorder and have 2 leads connected via the mic port. If I just apply regular voltage to the leads the recorder doesn't recognize the external mic and records with the internal mic. It seems as though the recorder will only read values through the external mic if there is a tone going through it. I know the Arduino can generate tones, but if possible I'd like to do this with a simple voltage to frequency converter IC like the Texas Instruments LM231 (http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm231.pdf). My question is: if I convert voltage to frequency, is that the *same* thing as generating a tone (will it be readable)?

Thanks!

tubeguy

Joined Nov 3, 2012
A frequency is considered a 'tone', ie tone generator.
And yes, the recorder will not record steady voltages, only frequencies within its frequency range.
For more help you should be more specific about what your final goal is.
What will you do with the recording?

Last edited:

sciguy77

Joined Dec 15, 2012
For more help you should be more specific about what your final goal is.
What will you do with the recording?
My recorder can display audio waves in real time when connected to a computer. By translating dc voltages to tones I hope to make myself a cheap and quick oscilloscope without having to buy one of the expensive ones. Mostly just for fun though TBH.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
The word tone is mostly used for an audible frequency.

All the rest are frequencies of varied nature, as a sea waves, earthquake waves, resonance waves, electrical waves, magnetic waves, light waves, radio waves...