Is anyone using Liquid Tin to tin their boards?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Is anyone using Liquid Tin to tin their boards?

http://shop.vetcosurplus.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=936

I always get mixed results. Some traces tin perfectly while none at all. It seems like sometime if I keep it in longer the worse results I get.

I make sure the traces are nice and clean but still don't get satisfactory results.

Anyone get good results out of this stuff?

If you don't tin, I am really not interested. I know that is an option.

But if you have another method other than the soldering method I would be interested.

Has anyone tried electro plating?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you have problems with some boards and not others then I suspect you have a contamination problem such as oil. How do you clean the boards?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
If you have problems with some boards and not others then I suspect you have a contamination problem such as oil. How do you clean the boards?
No not one board to the other.

On the same board. Some tracks tin and others don't.

I am not sure what else I can do to clean it. I clean off the remaining toner with acetone, scrub it with scotch brite, then wash with liquid soap, and rinse then dry.

Don't know what else to try.

Have you used the stuff? If so did you get good results?

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
You can seal your board with a plastic spray. Some sprays are made for use on PCBs. So resoldering is not a problem then re-work needed. If you do not apply a to thick layer. Which is not needed. For the hobbyist this is much better approach

colinb

Joined Jun 15, 2011
I use “Liquid Tin” brand which I bought from Mouser. It has worked fine for me, and my traces look very uniformly tinned. I find that tinning the traces improves solderability when I'm not going to solder the board immediately after etching, so that the copper traces don't begin to oxidize.