Is an always ON npn transistor bad design?

tpny

Joined May 6, 2012
If my npn is always turned ON (fully ON) and only occassionally turned OFF (by pushbutton), is that a bad design?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Not inherently. Depending on the goal of the circuit, it may even be the best way to achieve something. But, it may also be a poor way. For instance, another approach my reduce average power consumption. Again, it depends on what you are trying to do and what aspects are more important than others.

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
If my npn is always turned ON (fully ON) and only occassionally turned OFF (by pushbutton), is that a bad design?
Lots of design have transistors turned on when on standby. Eg your TV or else the remote control would not work. Your PC is also running with a standby +5 volts feeding the PSU so on pushing a push button you and trigger on the PC without having the mains switched off.

Important thing is the transistor that was always switched on doesnt consume too much current..

Allen

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
It's a bad question because it can not be answered.

It's not totally unlikely that it is neither a good nor a bad design and simly does not matter.

If you want an answer the circuit must be shown.