IRFP250, 260, 460 etc. Are these only for pwm/freq. operation?

Hamlet

Joined Jun 10, 2015
I spotted something while sifting mosfet datasheets, and what I am seeing in the graphs for
safe operating area suggest that some mosfets are only for smps/pwm. All the lines are dotted,
and everything refers to speed, or pulse width, microseconds. Does this mean these devices are not okay for
turning on a load full on, sans pwm or whatever? For other mosfets, there is a solid line in
the graph, showing non-switched operating area, like turning on a light bulb, or something
like that, as well as the dotted lines for different currents and pulse widths, usually higher.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You can run them switched on for longer periods of time, if that is what you are asking, as long as heat dissipation methods are observed.
Max.

Hamlet

Joined Jun 10, 2015
Okay, good. That's what I expected, but then I looked at the datasheet too close, I started overthinking it,
wondering if I was missing something.

I always find it irksome how manufacturers and their salesmen/engineers write datasheets
with outrageous ratings derived from pie-n-sky conditions! The currents are spec'd at lower voltages, like
4volts, and the voltage ratings are spec'd at minuscule mA, and wattages are spec'd
at room temps, which are quickly and steeply derated for more real world working temps. Sheesh.

Just had to get that off my chest. At lease we aren't electrocuting elephants to demonstrate
the superiority of our technology anymore.