Irc540?

jhmichael25

Joined Jan 30, 2008
Hey everybody,

I am just new in the forum, but I have spent many hours on it today browsing many interesting treads.

My curiosity for now is to IRC540 as I have never used one before. I need to build an ammeter to read from 1 amp to 25 amps. Since the IRC540 has a very low resistance, something like 0.008 if I can recall properly and also has current sensing I thought it would make a suitable component for the application I have in mind.

Are you able to give me your view on this project, and maybe that you know of a schematic already build using IRC540 that you would like to share with me?

I will be gratefull.

Michael

jhmichael25

Joined Jan 30, 2008
The IRC540 is a hexfet power mosfet with 5 pins having 0.077 Ohm as RDS, 28A as ID. I have never seen any circuitry with this N-Mosfet, I don't have any with me to experiment with and on the Master Database of the MultiSim is not in there on the library. I would love to simulate with but at this point iin time I can't do it. By the way do you know how to create this component on the MultiSim 10?

So, I have thought to use this Mosfet as the Rsense for its low resistance RDS 0.077 Ohm and the lead Current Sense linked to a ADC and then to something else to build an ammeter.

I did a Google search but I did not find any schematic circuitry with IRC540, so I decided to come in in this forum believiing somebody will be able to put some lights on this...

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/irf/irc540.pdf

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
If you go to the International Rectifier site, you will find circuits for using the integrated current sense feedback resistor for shut down. Look under their high-speed controllers. And if that is more than you need, look at page 8 of the datasheet for the IRC540.

John

jhmichael25

Joined Jan 30, 2008
If you go to the International Rectifier site, you will find circuits for using the integrated current sense feedback resistor for shut down. Look under their high-speed controllers. And if that is more than you need, look at page 8 of the datasheet for the IRC540.

John

Thanks for that I will try to find out on their web site.

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
"Animals" is used colloquially as a metaphor to refer to alternatives in the sub-category under discussion. In this context, "animals" means "components" or "circuit elements."