IRC channel?

Kutan

Joined Feb 3, 2008
Just out of curiosity, is there an AAC IRC channel? If not, it would be great to create one.. For anyone curious or in the dark about IRC, probably the most well known client is mIRC ( www.mirc.com ).
Anyway, if there isn't already a channel, I hope an administrator decides this is a good idea and makes one, it's a hassle creating threads over very simple questions and having to wait a few hours for a response. :p

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
No there isn't an AAC IRC channel although the question has been raised several times before. Each time it is raised as a potential feature, there isn't sufficient interest to make it work.

I know there is a plug-in to integrate an IRC channel into the forums through use of Java therefore precluding the need for a dedicated client. I am happy to examine the feasibility of implementing this feature if there is sufficient interest in it. I would also need to examine the moderating options.

Comments welcome.

Dave

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
I think the main benefits of using the forum are that users could read threads that are relevant to their needs or interests and others could respond/contribute based on their knowledge/skills on suitable threads without having time limit or be online all the time. IRC would would limit the readers and the contributors to the ones that are online at that particular time, thus limiting the useful life of the discussions and, worse, the breadth of the discussions.

It might not be a bad idea for simple questions, but who knows, there might be a lot of people out there that have identical simple questions and would appreciate finding the answers or clues by searching the old threads. I know I've learned a lot, some of them were simple things, from reading old threads in this forum.

recca02

Joined Apr 2, 2007
And lets not forget how much we will miss occasional humorous posts that are often posted
in such small threads :D;).

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I think the main benefits of using the forum are that users could read threads that are relevant to their needs or interests and others could respond/contribute based on their knowledge/skills on suitable threads without having time limit or be online all the time. IRC would would limit the readers and the contributors to the ones that are online at that particular time, thus limiting the useful life of the discussions and, worse, the breadth of the discussions.

It might not be a bad idea for simple questions, but who knows, there might be a lot of people out there that have identical simple questions and would appreciate finding the answers or clues by searching the old threads. I know I've learned a lot, some of them were simple things, from reading old threads in this forum.
The arguments put forward by n9352527 are what tend to be the consensus on why the forums are a better learning resource than IRC or other chat related system. Realistically IRC would only be useful for those quick questions. The forums benefit from the drawn out contributions from several members meaning the advice is both more diverse and more complete.

Ultimately if the membership wants and IRC channel, then we will look at implementing it; but only if a) there is interest and support for an IRC network and b) if such a network adds to the information and knowledge exchange here at AAC.

Dave

Kutan

Joined Feb 3, 2008
I think IRC could increase how well the community communicates. I don't believe that it would render the forum useless, as many members would just stick to forum due to time limitations. While the forum allows for discussions upon projects and large-scale topics, IRC could serve to help by quickly answering a simple question that arises at any moment and let everyone get to know each other better.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I think IRC could increase how well the community communicates. I don't believe that it would render the forum useless, as many members would just stick to forum due to time limitations. While the forum allows for discussions upon projects and large-scale topics, IRC could serve to help by quickly answering a simple question that arises at any moment and let everyone get to know each other better.
Certainly valid points. I will see if this thread brings up any interest in the idea and we can go from there. If you search the forums for "IRC" you will see others who have suggested it.

Dave

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Search using "chat" as well as "IRC." Earliest reference was 2005.

I know I wouldn't use it. I'm an old stick-in-the-mud, though.:D

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I first went on IRC in late 1995.

While initially it was a lot of fun talking with folks from all over, it eventually grew tiresome as "script kiddies" invaded. Apparently, there are a great many bored youngsters on IRC who have nothing better to do than play "king of the hill", continually invading, disrupting and taking over IRC channels. There was also the problem of such miscreants creating "script viruses" that would infect other IRC clients, causing them to become unwitting "bots" (remotely controlled robots) aiding them in their misguided cause for domination of IRC.

Such a venue would require the constant attention of moderators, who would be viewed by "script kiddies" as "targets of opportunity", resulting in considerable frustration - as the moderators are human; the "script kiddies" are controlling "bots".

While the thought of it may seem attractive at the outset, I don't see it becoming much more than a huge headache.

I gave up on IRC years ago.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
SgtWookie raises a point I gestured to before, that of moderating an IRC channel. The forums are meticulously moderated (for the best I hope we agree) and an IRC channel would need the same - can we guarantee this is the case? I'm not sure. We have a set of rules that we try and maintain across a wide range of discussions, which is no easy task but the 3 mods (beenthere, hgmjr and thingmaker3) do a fantastic job. Moderating an IRC channel might be one step to much for what we have to offer.

Dave

mozikluv

Joined Jan 22, 2004
it's a good idea, but time constraint would be the main stumbling block. so far i have not seen positive response from senior members and i for one is not so enthusiastic about it.:( if the guy wants a one on one discussion we have the private message facility or email, which some members have been doing to me.

moz

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I suppose an alternative might be to allow members to post IM addresses in their profile.
We already allow for that, choose from MSN, Yahoo!, AIM, ICQ and (although not IM) Skype.

Furthermore, if members click onto the currently active users page (at the bottom of the main page), they can see the IM status of the AAC members currently logged in.

Dave