IR2110 problems

chicheme

Joined Jun 25, 2009
Hi I've been having similar troubles with the IR2110 as well

I've attached the schematics that I'm using now.

I would like to know if someone sees any mistake. I'm using TTL of 3,5Vpp and 1 KHz at HIN and LIN and I'm getting a DC voltaje at LO arround 14 volts and 0 volts at HO.

I hope you can help me

Thanks

Attachments

Tahmid

Joined Jul 2, 2008
Hi chicheme,
I see two problems with the circuit.
1) The SD pin is left floating. It should be connected to ground to enable operation of the chip.
2) When you apply 15v to VDD of IR2110, you are expected to apply at least 12vpp to the logic inputs. Look at fig 12b of the datasheet where you can see that for 3vpp input you need to provide about 2.x volt to the VDD pin. But applying such little voltage to the VDD pin causes the IR2110 to become unstable. So you are better off making a discrete transistor amplifier to amplify the 3v signal to atleast 6v. Then apply about 5v to the VDD pin. I think your circuit will then work.
PS check the datasheet carefully, there are very important data shown in the graphs and figures not written anywhere else.
Thanks.

chicheme

Joined Jun 25, 2009
Hi

I the necesary changes to the circuit (see the attachment), and for HIN and LIN I'm using 8Vpp now and 15V for Vdd, according to the figure 12b in the datasheet.

I'm using a signal generator for the input, I'm using a square wave and I can change it to anyway I want. For the load I'm using a 100Ω resistor just to test, but I still get nothing at the exit of the IR2110.

Can It be the voltages of the capacitors? I didn't understand the calculations of the application note, so I just picked the same value that they used in the application note, but I didn't checked the voltage of them. :confused:

thanks for all the help!

Attachments

Tahmid

Joined Jul 2, 2008
Hi,
I'd say use 10uF for C3 and C4. The rest seems okay. Instead of checking output at IR2110, check output at the 100ohm load and watch the waveform across it. To just check output of IR2110, remove the MOSFETs, connect Vs to gnd and then check. Later rewire the circuit again with the MOSFETs and remove the jumper from Vs to gnd.
Hope this helped.

chicheme

Joined Jun 25, 2009
Hi, I've a question, should I use a separated ground for the SD pin.
Like a logic ground and a power ground.??

Thanks