ir2110 heating up

assuc

Joined Mar 23, 2012
Greetings,
Hope you are all fine
I have made a BUCK CONVERTER using IR2110 high side Mosfet drive, mosfet is irf540N. the problem is when initially it is powered the IC works for 3-4 secs but then gets heated and output is disturbed. Can anyone help telling me why the IC gets heated is there any problem in the given schematic

UPDATE: Switching frequency is 30kHz and voltage across R3 appears to be 2.5volts
buck.jpg

Last edited:

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Can I ask why? These are both shown in Tahmid's blog, to get the IR2110 to work reliably. He say's using them is the fix?
http://tahmidmc.blogspot.com/2013/01/using-high-low-side-driver-ir2110-with.html
Normally the driver just needs to drive the gate capacitance of the FET. It uses the charge stored in the bootstrap capacitor to do that. When you add the resistor it not only needs to drive the capacitance of the FET but also the gate to source resistance. That forces you to use a really big cap for the Cb or it will discharge between cycles. Normally it is kind of good practice to have some high resistance from gate to source so the FET doesn't get accidentally turned on, but not in this case. It's ok in the bottom FET (If you like) because it is driven directly from the 15 volts.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
R3 is really quite low in value; if you want to keep it in there, increase it to 10k at least.

Why aren't you using the low side too? If you did, you would have a synchronous buck, which uses a MOSFET as an ideal diode. Of course, you need to turn the lower MOSFET off when the inductor current reaches zero (or close to it).

assuc

Joined Mar 23, 2012
R3 is really quite low in value; if you want to keep it in there, increase it to 10k at least.

Why aren't you using the low side too? If you did, you would have a synchronous buck, which uses a MOSFET as an ideal diode. Of course, you need to turn the lower MOSFET off when the inductor current reaches zero (or close to it).

okay thanks, i presume, that changing R3 will ensure that IC wont heat up .
Also to use the technique of synchronous buck is my next step as this is the first time i have been using the gate driver IC to drive MOSFET previously i was using resistor network on the gate for switching FET which proved not to be of good way

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Normally the driver just needs to drive the gate capacitance of the FET. It uses the charge stored in the bootstrap capacitor to do that. When you add the resistor it not only needs to drive the capacitance of the FET but also the gate to source resistance. That forces you to use a really big cap for the Cb or it will discharge between cycles. Normally it is kind of good practice to have some high resistance from gate to source so the FET doesn't get accidentally turned on, but not in this case. It's ok in the bottom FET (If you like) because it is driven directly from the 15 volts.
OK, don't mean to highjack but this is a case where it's easier to ask in the thread.

Why would R3 drain the boot cap? I know 1k is too low of a value for R1, but, as the drain to source starts to conduct, wouldn't the gate voltage rise with it? And the BS cap would still just be supplying the needed turn on Vgs?

And the BS cap, when mosfet isn't conducting is still at ground potential and charging, so how is this 'draining' the boot cap? The only difference is with R3 the gate is also at source/ground potential at the same time. preventing it from turning on.

The only way I can see R3 deleting the BS cap would be if the gate driver was "slightly" on. But that can't happen due to the driver internal circuitry.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Yea, It's not the end of the world, but the gate has to be 10 volts or so above the source for the FET to turn on good. So all the time it is on the 10 ma is drawn from the boost cap, whereas without it once the FET is on it's only leakage currents.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Why would R3 drain the boot cap? I know 1k is too low of a value for R1, but, as the drain to source starts to conduct, wouldn't the gate voltage rise with it? And the BS cap would still just be supplying the needed turn on Vgs?
True. But when Q1 is on, the gate-source voltage is high with the current being supplied by the capacitor. If R1 is too low it will drain the cap during this turn-on time and the Vgs may go below the turn-on point causing high dissipation. So you want the R1C time-constant to be much longer than the longest on-time of Q1.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Are you actually measuring 15V at the input to the circuit?

I see no reason to remove C1. Try adding it back (but without R3).

assuc

Joined Mar 23, 2012
Are you actually measuring 15V at the input to the circuit?

I see no reason to remove C1. Try adding it back (but without R3).
what do u mean by measuring? 15 vdc is the optimum voltage that is measured many times before applying it as Vdc

Please also see i have updated the schematic in my above post.

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
What diode is D1? As far as I remember Vs is not supposed to be lower than COM for more than ... I forgot that exact value. When D1 conducts, Vs IS lower than COM. How much? Did you measure? Did you try to use a low voltage drop schottky for that? Just a thought.

EDIT:
Well, it's 5V. Vs can be as much as 5V lower than COM.
I would still measure if you don't exceed any max ratings (due to transients). Measure with a scope directly at the output of the IR2110. VS-COM, VGS.
You could also post a picture of your setup.

Last edited:

assuc

Joined Mar 23, 2012
What diode is D1? As far as I remember Vs is not supposed to be lower than COM for more than ... I forgot that exact value. When D1 conducts, Vs IS lower than COM. How much? Did you measure? Did you try to use a low voltage drop schottky for that? Just a thought.

EDIT:
Well, it's 5V. Vs can be as much as 5V lower than COM.
I would still measure if you don't exceed any max ratings (due to transients). Measure with a scope directly at the output of the IR2110. VS-COM, VGS.
You could also post a picture of your setup.
D1 is 1n4048, VGS IS 2-3Volts.
vs-com is not measured.
any further advices