IR sensor projects

ksanand

Joined Jun 11, 2024
Can you let us know to identify a solution to using multiple IR sensors switching ON without increasing the power source.

My power source is 24V 10 Amps

Number of IR sensors (Emitter & Detector) connected in my circuit is – 24 sets.

One set consumes – 5mA

Can we have a design for supplying power source by switching method and avoid continuous consumption of current while switching ON all 2400 sets at a time.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Welcome to AAC.

Do you have 24–or 2400—sensors?

Could you describe the application so people can provide real help without making all sorts of wrong assumptions and going off on long Q&A sessions trying to get the information?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Can you let us know to identify a solution to using multiple IR sensors switching ON without increasing the power source.

My power source is 24V 10 Amps

One set consumes – 5mA

Can we have a design for supplying power source by switching method and avoid continuous consumption of current while switching ON all 2400 sets at a time.
That request comes across like chapter TWO in a thread already running. AND, also, "Y" is correct. provide more information about the intended application or suffer with a hundred guesses about unrelated things.

ksanand

Joined Jun 11, 2024
Welcome to AAC.

Do you have 24–or 2400—sensors?

Could you describe the application so people can provide real help without making all sorts of wrong assumptions and going off on long Q&A sessions trying to get the information?
Hi
It is a machine used for textile application.
Machine needs 2400 sensors to monitor each positions.
One set of pcbs (1master, 2 slave) needed for 24 position.
V have a 24v 10amps SMPD line runs throughout machine.
Each 24 positions will be supplied with 24v line tapped from the bus.
V convert it to 5v and 3.3v for controller and other operations.
As v plan to have source as 10amps or max at 20amps, v need to manage supply without loading with more current consumption for SMPS.
So v believe switching method supply at a time 4 per 24 positions can be done.
So that in each 24 nos out of 2400 positions, v can make a control by switching on 4 positions at a time for few millisecond and then next 4 or few millisecond ...like wise for 24 position 6 times can b switched in one cycle.
Then repeating d same process.
If v hv a design for one set of 24 positions, v can repeat for entire machine for each 24positions.
Hope i hav detailed and will be helpful.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What is missing is a mention of what the sensor outputs connect to and the performance requirements are, as far as response time and accuracy.
Textile machines run quite rapidly and so fast response is important, and for production machines, accuracy, reliability, and stability are mandatory and vital. Certainly an adequate power supply is required, but there are already a whole lot of standards as to how to provide that.
Multiplexing the sensors is an interesting concept but probably not useful for a constant production machine.
If the goal is to have some control system constantly monitor all 2400 sensors and cause some response if any sensor detects a fault, that is entirely possible. If the intention is something else then please let us know.
Only the size is different from systems I have created and put into operation many years ago.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Machine needs 2400 sensors to monitor each positions. And if each set draws 5 mA (=0.005A) then the total current draw for all of them will be 2400X5 Ma=12500mA=12.5 amps That leaves 7.5 amps at 24 volts=180 Watts of 24 volt power for the control logic boards. With a reasonable efficiency switching regulator that leaves 150 watts at 5 volts= 30 amps to power the logic boards.
But if you choose to use the linear IC voltage regulators then you will waste 7.5 amps X 19 volts=142,5 watts as heat and only have 37.5 watts to power the three boards. That may not be adequate.
So there is no choice except to use a switching regulator to provide the low voltage for the logic portion.

If you want the completed design in detail, professional rates will apply.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
And if each set draws 5 mA (=0.005A) then the total current draw for all of them will be 2400X5 Ma=12500mA=12.5 amps
Read the OP again:

One set consumes – 5mA
My bolding.

I suspect that this is wrong and actually each sensor uses 5mA, but that is not what he said.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Both 24 and 2400 are mentioned but 2400 is reaffirmed in post #4. MY math gets 12A. (2400 x 0.005A = 12A)

There's a TON of missing information. One machine with 2400 points of monitoring suggests an extremely large machine or ultra tiny. IR TX and RX sensors. By extremely large I'm talking about something that may be feet across by feet across. How accurately does the machine need to know where it is? And if it needs to know where it is then it should be driven by stepper motors that can be counted for number of steps in any direction. OR a wheel with holes and a single sensor to count the number of turns a motor makes.

I think we're on the completely wrong track for a solution. But as for answering the question; if you have a 10 amp supply and a 12 amp draw - simply stated, you need a bigger power supply or two separate supplies of at least 6 amps. And if you went with two 6A supplies, that would be a poor design. You NEED headroom. You should have more amperage available than what you are drawing. If you need 12A I'd recommend a minimum of 16 amps. That way you don't run into a situation where you are overheating your supply.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
REally, textile machines have a whole lot of threads per inch, and they produce cloth in strips several feet wide. AND there is a need to keep track of every thread because if one thread breaks then it needs to be corrected. Now just think of how many threads per inch you have in average cloth. Possibly a hundred, and always at least 30 threads per inch.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
REally, textile machines have a whole lot of threads per inch, and they produce cloth in strips several feet wide. AND there is a need to keep track of every thread because if one thread breaks then it needs to be corrected. Now just think of how many threads per inch you have in average cloth. Possibly a hundred, and always at least 30 threads per inch.
Not familiar with textile machines. My thinking on IR sensors and transmitters goes to thinking of those 5mm devices. That's approximately 49 sensors wide by 49 sensors tall.(√2400 = 48.99). At 5mm that's roughly 24.5cm^2 or 9 5/8"^2. OK, not as big as I was imagining before, but 2400 sensors in a 9 5/8 square box is packed tight. I don't know what anyone is going to do with 5mm sensors/txmitters.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I have seen the photos of a few of them, and actually seen some older ones. The threads are farther apart because they are constantly moving up and down in the weaving process. and the plan is to detect a broken thread so they can stop and mend it before they produce a lot of scrap cloth.And the sensors are small.