IR Receiver Module Vc GND Out

rrpking

Joined Jan 20, 2013
So I just bought this IR Receiver Module from radio shack and was wondering what each of the pins mean. They say 1. OUt 2. GND 3.Vs

Thanks.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
These pins are the:

3. Vs: power supply voltage

2. GND: the zero voltage ref of the circuit, or return of Vs.

1. Out: signal when received. When it "sees" a 38KHz IR signal it outputs a constant lever. I don't know offhand if it's normally high and low for signal, or the reverse.

Number 3 and 2 give the device power.
Number 1 is what you connect to the rest of your circuit.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
1. Out: signal when received. When it "sees" a 38KHz IR signal it outputs a constant lever. I don't know offhand if it's normally high and low for signal, or the reverse.
They are almost always an open-drain pull down output, that goes low when the 38kHz IR signal is present. Being open drain they usually require a pull-up resistor on that pin, about 10k, to +5v.

Occasionally you get one with a weak driver so the resistor needs to be higher, 33k or so.

coolal

Joined May 19, 2013
Hi

i am new here and i have an urgent circuit i need help can you please message me i dont know how to message you and i ried posting a new tread but its not posting??

They are almost always an open-drain pull down output, that goes low when the 38kHz IR signal is present. Being open drain they usually require a pull-up resistor on that pin, about 10k, to +5v.

Occasionally you get one with a weak driver so the resistor needs to be higher, 33k or so.

coolal

Joined May 19, 2013
Hi ernieM

i am new here and i have an urgent circuit i need help can you please message me i dont know how to message you and i ried posting a new tread but its not posting??

These pins are the:

3. Vs: power supply voltage

2. GND: the zero voltage ref of the circuit, or return of Vs.

Number 3 and 2 give the device power.
Number 1 is what you connect to the rest of your circuit.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Hi ernieM

Please don't spam the forum.

Did you read the sticky on new threads? no? figures... a title I'd more than 20 characters has been known to cause errors, so chose a sorter title. Also, posts by new members are sometimes moderated before they can be posted - I think it matters which forum you are trying to post in.

@The_RB sometimes, there is an internal pull-up

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
They are almost always an open-drain pull down output, that goes low when the 38kHz IR signal is present.
One problem many noobs encounter is that the output will not be held continuously low when a steady carrier is received. It will go low briefly but then turn off. They are meant to receive burst data, not to act as a switch. This behavior varies and it's hard to tell exactly what the Shack is selling at any time. If this is the Vishay TSOP4838, it does indeed have the open collector described by RB. Not sure how it responds to a steady carrier signal.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
wayneh. the operation of RS, V 4838 is as you described it, needs a continuous data stream, at least as of last year.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Most of them won't resond well to continuous carrier transmission. They need the signal stream to be modulated in data pulses.

David Cook at RobotRoom.com mentions one brand/type of sensor which does still work with continuous carrier transmission.