IR led light source

das7771

Joined Jan 26, 2009
I am looking to build an IR light source to use with my Sony video camera. I purchased a cheap IR flashlight that has 25 IR led lights on it, but I want some thing that would put out a wider beam of light.

I purchased 50 of these -Infrared LED 1.1-1.6V 20mA 850nM- and wish to build a light source out of this. This is going to be my first build of any thing like this and I don't really no where to start.

If any one could point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
I would check voltage drop @ 20mA of all led's and put them in piles of = V drop. Just for discution assume a matrix 7X7. Select values[ on paper first ] to give about a 9.45 V for 7 led's,assuming a 12V supply,adjust 9.45V up or down to give greatest number of strings of = V. Figure value of current limiting resistor: 12V- 9.45 = 2.55V/ .02 = 127 or std value of 130Ω. Leftover strings might have 6 to 8 led's,just figure them seperatly.

To give desired beam spread, use a segment a plastic bowl [ approx. hemispherical ]. For narrowest beam , use 7 mm centers , for wider beam spread centers as desired. Make a paper patern .marking centers then led lead holes. Dampen paper and form over bowl, tape in place when dry. Remember holes for resistors, 1/4 W. Drill lead holes as snug as possible. Insert leds, bend leads to over lap and solder

das7771

Joined Jan 26, 2009
Thanks, this definitely helps. I still have not received the LED's but now I know where to start. Thanks again.

Greg G

Joined Jan 25, 2009
How far away is the object? If it's more than about 15 feet away you might want to consider switching to a larger LED, like a 1 watt, and an orange peel reflector. There are companies that sell an LED mounted to a star/heatsink, and it comes with a reflector. It's a P60 type, and will swap right into many lights, such as a Surefire 6P. You could always build an array of them if you need a lot of lumens. www.dealextreme.com has the P60 drop-ins as well as the individual LED's.

What were you planning on using for a battery pack and driver?

Here is a star:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13961

Last edited:

das7771

Joined Jan 26, 2009
Bernard,

excuse me for asking this question, but like I said I am new to this so I just need a little clarification.

On the diagram you posted, you are showing the (+) side of the power supply going into the resistor. then the led's connected with the (-) being at the end. This would mean that the power would flow through the (-) side first, then through the lights, then into the resistor. The whole conventional vs. electron flow notation has me a little confused. I thought since the power actually flows from (-) to (+) that the resistor should be connected on the negative side first before leading up to the lights. So that way the power is then regulated to the voltage I need to power the 7 led's.

Or is your diagram actually using conventional flow notation and when I do connect every thing I actually do it according to the electron flow notation and connect the resistor to the (-) side of the power supply first, before leading up to the led's?

das7771

Joined Jan 26, 2009
I just want to say thanks for the help. I put together a set of led's that was 7x7. I now have a nice IR light for my camera with 49 led's that works well. This is a very informative site with some good people to get advice from. Now I just gotta decide what I want to make next.