Ir Hardwire interface

rickamlin

Joined Sep 21, 2006
I would like to replace my stick on IR emitters with a hardwire cable. Smarthomedotcom use to sell one (8175) that is discontinued. It seems like a straight forward interface, but I don't know what resistor values to use for a 12v system.

View attachment IrCable.bmp

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

To do the job, you have to replace the IR receivers, too. What were you planning to use?

A twisted pait line will probably do for the conductor.

rickamlin

Joined Sep 21, 2006
Right now I have an ir receiver plugged into a distribution block. The block has several ir emitter ports. You simply plug in a stick on ir emitter to the port and stick the led end in front of your a/v ir window. I have an ocelot and other various equipment that have ir input jacks. These jacks allow an external receiver to be plugged in. The ir block output jacks are two conductors to feed the led (I believe there is a 470 ohm resistor wired internally in series with the port to allow them to drive an led emitter directly. The ocelot ir input port is 3 conductor that has 12v, Ground, and ir in. It is designed to interface with an ir receiver. I would like to interface a 2 conductor ir out port with a 3 conductor ir in port. The smarthome product, which is no longer available looks like it has a two conductor mini port that plugs into any ir emitter port, and then has 3 bare conductors after the interface that can be connected directly to the ir distribution block. I am assuming the interface is a simple optocoupler. The led side of the coupler is driven by the ir emitter port of the distribution block, and the photo transistor side of the coupler would pass the data to the ir hardwire bus. The ocelot has its own 12v system, that would normally power the ir receiver, and this cannot be tied to the ir distribution blocks 12v bus. That is why I think the optocoupler is used.