IR dimmer discrete.

franzschluter

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Hi guys,

Is it possible to construct an IR light dimmer using discrete circuits? How should I go about it? My best guess is that it would look very complicated...

I have seen 1 circuit that offers light dimming using no PICs. However SLB0586 isn't available in my local area.

School Project Criteria... "IR Light Dimmer, NO PIC or any Microcontrollers" >.<

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Just to make sure your IR emitter is working, you can connect it to an oscilloscope and vary the light intensity. Or you can take any digital camera and place it over the IR emitter. You should see a bright light coming from the emitter. Our eyes can't see IR but cameras sure can.

Last edited:

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
Making one without a PIC would make it a dumb piece of gadget. As IR code detection without discrete IR decoder IC's or a PIC, limits its code reception to 2 switches. This one is like a shift register..

Attachments

franzschluter

Joined Jun 1, 2009
Making one without a PIC would make it a dumb piece of gadget. As IR code detection without discrete IR decoder IC's or a PIC, limits its code reception to 2 switches. This one is like a shift register..
yes, IR decoder IC's are allowed.. PICs are forbidden. I'm really sorry i forgot to mention 1 important factor...the circuit must be able to drive 3 lights. and dimming them individually?
How do I go about this? Any more bright ideas? Though you gave me an idea using 1 light LED. I know using PIC will solve all these problems...

Last edited:

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
Get the chip used in TV board's IR reception section and a couple of transistors along with the original TV remote will help you achieve what you need easily. Otherwise it will be a mess. This is your best deal. Even the chip from the remote may be used to make your own one so that the staffs wont even recogonize it.

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
For school mini projects on Digital electronics, it is a standard to not allow to use microcontrollers. The main project which comes later however must be done using microcontrollers. It was so for me for Electonics Engineering.