IR beam proximity sensor

optimus9

Joined Sep 15, 2009
Here's my problem:

I want to make a simple IR beam barrier proximity sensor with a range of about 15cm.
I've bought the TIL78 IR receiver (phototransistor) & TIL32 IR emitter (IR LED), but the problem is that ambient light (& probably CFLs as well) interferes with it.
I've also tried to cover the phototransistor & protect it with IR filters (floppy disk magnetic disk), but it doesn't help a lot.

One possible solution is to modulate the IR LED at 38Khz & use an infra-red receiver module to decode the signal. Unfortunately, these IR modules aren't sold in my country.
So, can anyone suggest a simple circuit whereby I can encode a signal with the IR LED & decode it with phototransistor? For the encoding, I've found circuits using 555 timers, but no decoding circuit.
:)

Btw, I'm using these sensors with an automated curtain system which is activated using an LDR & timer. Motor is controlled via an H-bridge I designed because I couldn't find any on-chip H-bridges. (That's the simulation circuit, contains redundant parts because some of them weren't available for sale.)

Attachments