IR and Night Vision Help Explanation

Chris15

Joined Apr 15, 2009
Ok
i know a small bit about Infrared and Night vision but could someone Explain these things to me;
- What do i need to see IR Light in my own eyes, my Digital camera does but how do i?

- What is the camera that helicopters use to see people in a field, Eg. the whole field is black but the people/ animals are white, what is this camera called and can i make a smaller version?

- Will an Infrared LED trigger an LDR?

- If i place IR LED(s) infront of my gun scope (or binoculars) will this project it like a torch and if so How to i see it.

- With heat, the infrared goggles or detector things i am hoping to make will this show people, like does the thing that can see ir light see body heat

Thanks if you can explain these to me

Chris

Last edited:

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Some cameras can see IR but your eyes cannot.

If you use a camera that is sensitive to IR and put an IR filter in front then it can "see" IR.

Body heat is "seen" by some IR cameras.

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
This is fun:

Take an IRLED, fire it up and then turn a digital camera on. You'll be able to see the IRLED on the digital camera display, but your naked eye can't. I watched this nature show and in order to make sure these lions didn't get irrated by visible light, they used powerful IR lights. Then, they filmed it on a digital camera display.

This has often made me wonder, what if we made cameras exactly like our eyes? If we eliminated IR light and other parts of the spectrum? I wonder how well the picture quality would improve if at all. Because, a camera could take in some reflected IR light, which we wouldn't see.