Iphone 4 unlocking

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
My wife picked up an iphone 4 from a friend for super cheap and it's the AT&T model (GSM). I found a prepaid service for it called H20 but I need to unlock it. The guy at the phone store (2nd hand story, I wasn't there) said that in order to "do it right" he has to use computer software and it costs 240$. He said there are chips available (40$) you can put in the phone and it will unlock it, but "they don't do it right, and your phone will be all glitchy and reboot in the middle of calls, etc."

I personally think he's full of crap, but it's been a long time since I played phones. The guy at Best Buy said you should be able to get it unlocked for <50$, but he didn't know anything about a software that "does it right" or a chip. Last time I unlocked a phone was years ago, and I just called t-mobile and they walked me through it. But this is an Iphone though and it's probably different; anyways I'm not an AT&T customer so they probably wouldn't do it for me if they could. So I'm looking online and seeing software like this for 25$.

Has anybody done this? I think that "Iphone unlock" is probably one of the most googled phrases in history and there are loads of scams out there. I'm looking for some inside info...

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
U know, when the HTC touch was released, I bought it fresh from ebay.

It was awesome then. Still I dunno anything about those words and things like "ROM cooking" and all tht.

A week later a friend of mine like the rest of wannabe's here said he can upgrade the software and install the cube thingy in it. I saw the cube from net and was fascinated. I gave it and it came back to be a $600.00 Brick :eek: which lies next to my keyboard. After tht I can only look at it.
It was my fault, why the hell did I gave it in the first place. I said nothing to him.
Now I know he cannot open it up and do anything. which means it was a software issue.

So I said to my self, why not.

Believe me when I say, that I spent 4 days and 4 nights none stop on the net searching, literally. I was at it. I only get up from the chair only to eat and to use the loo. No body in my house even saw me during that time.

And during that 4 days, I came upon XDA and those guys are one hell of bunch. Infact I made some money contributions to the forum. I learned everything there is to know about cooking a touch phone.

My phone came back alive like new, even better and faster.
It was absolutely nothing when you have patience u know.

After that unlocking phones and stuff came into my area of expertise besides just component level repair. It was a whole new chapter for me.

I need to get back to them I guess. :(

Strantor, tell me. How much did it cost u ? ( PM me, please )
And did u know tht it was last night some one called and asked about iphone 4 unlocking.

I said I have to look into it.

I dunno whether it needs to be jail broken like the rest of the mac iphones. But I have unlocked plenty last year. I still use a 2g iPhone which I upgraded and unlocked. Took minutes and costs nothing.

Get back to me, will ya.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
U know, when the HTC touch was released, I bought it fresh from ebay.

It was awesome then. Still I dunno anything about those words and things like "ROM cooking" and all tht.

A week later a friend of mine like the rest of wannabe's here said he can upgrade the software and install the cube thingy in it. I saw the cube from net and was fascinated. I gave it and it came back to be a $600.00 Brick :eek: which lies next to my keyboard. After tht I can only look at it.
It was my fault, why the hell did I gave it in the first place. I said nothing to him.
Now I know he cannot open it up and do anything. which means it was a software issue.

So I said to my self, why not.

Believe me when I say, that I spent 4 days and 4 nights none stop on the net searching, literally. I was at it. I only get up from the chair only to eat and to use the loo. No body in my house even saw me during that time.

And during that 4 days, I came upon XDA and those guys are one hell of bunch. Infact I made some money contributions to the forum. I learned everything there is to know about cooking a touch phone.

My phone came back alive like new, even better and faster.
It was absolutely nothing when you have patience u know.

After that unlocking phones and stuff came into my area of expertise besides just component level repair. It was a whole new chapter for me.

I need to get back to them I guess. :(

Strantor, tell me. How much did it cost u ? ( PM me, please )
And did u know tht it was last night some one called and asked about iphone 4 unlocking.

I said I have to look into it.

I dunno whether it needs to be jail broken like the rest of the mac iphones. But I have unlocked plenty last year. I still use a 2g iPhone which I upgraded and unlocked. Took minutes and costs nothing.

Get back to me, will ya.
OMG bill just give it to me, I'll hack it for you. I have Unbuntu, WM6.5, WP7, ICS, and many more. Can run off the SD card or flash the roms to the nand. I never break the warranty when unlocking and flashing phones. That kinda defeats the purpose if plan on using it a lot.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Heres a great place for iphone hacks and tricks. Also for psp and ps3. Pretty much a news site for homebrew but you can find what every their talking about pretty quick. Check it out. I got an extra 2 years out of my psp from this site. Now I'm looking at that damn psvita. That thing is so damn cool I've never seen anything like it. Imagine a ps3 ini your phone. The quality is that good. As soon as its hacked like the original I'm gonna run and buy one.
http://pspupdates.qj.net/

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Well I followed the leads you guys gave me and went down an internet rabbit hole into the world of iphone hackery. I jailbroke the phone, only to find that it has baseband 04.10.01, which means that it has been out there in the world for a year and a half and still no hacker has found a way to crack it. I have only one option to unlock it, which is to put a gevey sim card and perform some arcane ritual of going into & out of airplane mode, dialing 112, hanging up, rebooting, etc. and I have to have it tethered to the computer to do it(each time I turn off the phone or lose signal). If it were for me, I might consider it, but it's for my wife and I can't see her being happy with it. So i told her it can't be unlocked and I'm not buying another one and now she's not talking to me. See, just goes to show, you try to do something nice and what do you get...?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Well I followed the leads you guys gave me and went down an internet rabbit hole into the world of iphone hackery. I jailbroke the phone, only to find that it has baseband 04.10.01, which means that it has been out there in the world for a year and a half and still no hacker has found a way to crack it. I have only one option to unlock it, which is to put a gevey sim card and perform some arcane ritual of going into & out of airplane mode, dialing 112, hanging up, rebooting, etc. and I have to have it tethered to the computer to do it(each time I turn off the phone or lose signal). If it were for me, I might consider it, but it's for my wife and I can't see her being happy with it. So i told her it can't be unlocked and I'm not buying another one and now she's not talking to me. See, just goes to show, you try to do something nice and what do you get...?
Hee hee hee ..
This is for ur wife from me

Now send the phone to me !

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Trade it out on craiglist for a version thats jailbreakable. Most iphone people don't want it jail broke so finding a version that can be jail broken and trading the phone + $50 or something might suit your needs. I prefer unlocked android and WP7. Thats really nicer then I thought it would be. In fact I was gonna develop some stuff for it, but decided to go with Android instead because of the way they get all up in yo biz.

What carrier are you on? I know lots of people that buy em all the time and sell their old ones. Find out what carrier and what version your looking for and I'm sure we can find you a New Openbox or NEW one you can get and sell off the old one that can't be hacked. I'm pretty trustworthy when it comes to that kinda stuff, if you want I can give you references of things I've sent people or bought for them with no issues.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
We have a few options; The subpar one I already described, using this phone and the gevey sim, or get an unlocked GSM Iphone and run it on cheap-o prepaid service, or get a verizon locked CDMA Iphone and run it on my mom's family plan (she has an extra line she's not using) and just pay for the additional data package..

We went with option #3. I'm un-jailbreaking this AT&T phone as we speak, and I'm giving it back and getting my money back. I already bought a Verizon CDMA Iphone on Ebay for 220$ - 8GB, rough physical condition, but you get what you pay for. Needless to say my wife won the war of silence.