Inverting a signal without amplification

Flamin_D

Joined May 3, 2010
I hope someone can help me invert an analoge varying sine wave signal without amplifying it. I have looked into OP amps but they all seem to give an amplification. I have seen basic diagrams that look like what im looking for though:

Would this work for me? what value resistors / transistor would you suggest? Im working with milivolts, the values given out by an audio pre-amp.

Thanks in advance

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Use two 100K resistors for R1 and R2.

Have u considered using a low noise op amp since you are working with low voltages?

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
We give some quick solutions but it doesn't mean they are the best solutions. They will work but there might be better solutions. Keep this in mind as to seek for improvements if required.

Last edited:

Flamin_D

Joined May 3, 2010
ahh ok... i am after an amplification of -1, Just inverting the wave really, would this work or would i need a power supply as you say?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
What is the application for? I'm assuming a subwoofer, do you already have the sub?

The sub for my computer speakers (Sunfire Subwoofer) has a phase adjustment on it from 0-180 degrees. Others I've seen have a switch for 0 or 180 phase shift. Is this similar to what you are trying to achieve?

Flamin_D

Joined May 3, 2010
thatoneguy,

I have a subwoofer pre-amp which only gives frequencies below 200hz in the music. This is then connected to the subwoofer amplifier, which is a stereo amp (therefore i have split the single signal from the preamp into two, so they can be plugged into both left and right inputs on the amp). What i am trying to do is invert the signal of ONE of the signals, for example on the left hand side, so that the phase from the positive speaker terminal is reversed. This would mean i could bridge the amplifiers inside by connecting a subwoofer to the two positive terminals of the amp.

I hope this makes sense without a diagram!

PS. i did wonder why pin 2 and 3 were backwards, i got the main image of the opamp from google images like that.