inverter quality

lotusmoon

Joined Jun 14, 2013
I wanted to buy this microphone - http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/se-electronics-se2200t-tube-condenser-microphone.html

There is a separate mains power supply to it, so it can not be run directly from my sound card and laptop.

Live off grid with 12 volts power from solar.

Does any one know if i used an inverter to take it from 12 volts to mains. whether this will effect the quality of the mic. the inverter is cheap and not perfect sinwave.?

lotusmoon

Joined Jun 14, 2013
I have noticed I can get a pure sinewave inverter fairly cheaply but am still concerned as obviously any distortion with recording would make a big difference.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
I can not get the specs from your link due to it being to a sales site. what is the output of the mains supply for the preamp? it might be simpler to get that than to go thorugh a solar to mains to dc to preamp.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Unfortunately, this is not just another phantom-powered condenser mic. The T at the end of the model number means it has a vacuum tube preamp built in. So even though the overall power level is low, I don't think the supply would be easy to replicate.

I went through the manufacturer's site and downloads, and there is no data about the supply. I suggest contacting sE directly for advice. My guess is that they will be very responsive and helpful.

ak

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
You mentioned you laptop and sound card. Are they really up to the this level of equipment (assuming it really is worth the selling price).

Bob

lotusmoon

Joined Jun 14, 2013
You mentioned you laptop and sound card. Are they really up to the this level of equipment (assuming it really is worth the selling price).

Bob
I have been told it is a good mic it won lots of awards. I am not an expert is a sound card and lap top not good enough for better microphones? I have a edirol UA25 interface and sound forge on the laptop

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I have my doubts that a sound card is high enough in quality to do justice to anything better than a middling level microphone, but then I am not an expert. That microphone seems to be professional level equipment. Do you think professionals use a laptop sound card for recording? Why not?

Bob

lotusmoon

Joined Jun 14, 2013
I am doing home recording and using a rode NT1A at the moment.I do get some back ground noise from far of things. Will a better quality mic make these background noises more apparent or will the background noises just be a better quality.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Depends on the microphone's response pattern. Cardiod and super cardiod are directional and attenuate off-axis noise better, but this might some with come sound coloration. That's why the ultra-pro approach is a dead-quiet room and a wide-open mic.

Audio is moving air, and *anything* that moves air can be picked up. The easy things to do are close all doors and windows, and turn off the furnace/AC. Move the recording gear out of the recorded room and close that door. Even the little fan in a laptop can get picked up. Closed curtains help with outside noise, but can make a room too soft. Open curtains make for a brighter sound, but don't help with wind noise outside.

ak

Last edited:

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
if you can find out the voltages needed for your mike and its tube amp, why not just use batteries? the high voltage is very low current and couod be supplied with a bunch of 9 volt batteries in series. the filament 6 or 12 volt could be supplied by a lantern battery or two. you would have to change batteries ocasionally, but at those low current levels, it wouldnt be very often, and NO risk of noise from the supply.

lotusmoon

Joined Jun 14, 2013
if you can find out the voltages needed for your mike and its tube amp, why not just use batteries? the high voltage is very low current and couod be supplied with a bunch of 9 volt batteries in series. the filament 6 or 12 volt could be supplied by a lantern battery or two. you would have to change batteries ocasionally, but at those low current levels, it wouldnt be very often, and NO risk of noise from the supply.
I am not sure how it works but from what i can see there is one cable from the mic to a box and then from the box there is a connection to the mains and an other connection to the interface and then to the lap top. so I don't think it is possible to use batteries.

lotusmoon

Joined Jun 14, 2013
Depends on the microphone's response pattern. Cardiod and super cardiod are directional and attenuate off-axis noise better, but this might come with come sound coloration. That's why the ultra-pro approach is a dead-quiet room and a wide-open mic.

Audio is moving air, and *anything* that moves air can be picked up. The easy things to do are close all doors and windows, and turn off the furnace/AC. Move the recording gear out of the recorded room and close that door. Even the little fan in a laptop can get picked up. Closed curtains help with outside noise, but can make a room too soft. Open curtains make for a brighter sound, but don't help with wind noise outside.

ak[/QUO

Thank you for this.how do you feel about this sound proofing filter -http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/se-electronics-x1-bundle-with-rf-x-filter-and-accessories.html

would that make the room to soft or close up the space ?

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I can't help but think that there is an equally good microphone out there that does not incorporate a tube-type preamp. And it might even cost less.

Bob

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
audiophiles like tubes, they say they sound better than solid state. the microphone mentioned above uses a 12au7 and power supply in the box with a dc supply for the tube. there are some tubes that will run off as little as 9 volts on the plate and 1.4 volts dc on the filament that are used for preamps. I personally cant hear any differnce between a good tube amp and a good solid state one, or measure any difference either.

lotusmoon

Joined Jun 14, 2013
There is another mic in my price range - http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/se-electronics-z3300a-studio-microphone.html which does not need a mains supply
its last few in stock as it is being discontinued it has "a large 1.07" twin diaphragm, which gives the recording engineer a choice of three polar patterns, omni, cardioid and figure of eight."
i figure this probably adds a lot to the price and I probable don't need it. as it is just me and the spoken word. I think I just need cardioid. tell me if I am wrong.

lotusmoon

Joined Jun 14, 2013

lotusmoon

Joined Jun 14, 2013
the plot thickens i was going to buy the SE2200A- II- cardioide at £199 -
http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/se-electronics-se2200a-ii-cardioid-condenser-microphone.html
but know someone of the sales people there has told me that SE- X1 at £99 -
http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/se-electronics-x1-condenser-microphone.html
has exactly the same inner working or capsule but with a different carcass.
and would sound the same. I am getting different views from all of the people I talk to. I am unsure of where to find the full spec of these mics and whether the carcass make a big difference.
apparently the cheaper version they out source the carcasses and the more expensive one they mill the carcass them selves.