Inverter Generator with Combined Starter

trueblue2k2

Joined Feb 7, 2011
I have a 2000 watt inverter generator that wants an electric starter. There are three wires that go to the inverter module, and the wiring diagram shows the alternator in a wye configuration. The wires pass through six diodes much like in a car alternator to create the 170 volt input for the 2kW inverter.

It occurred to me that the three phase PM alternator would make a powerful starter motor with the right electronics to drive it. All inverter generators with electric start that I have seen use a starting motor and ring gear. That seems a more complex, expensive, and heavier method than is necessary.

Expensive VFD's are likely beyond my budget. I could use the 12VDC to 170VDC converter from an old inverter, and maybe lower it somewhat to power the circuit. Would it be possible to modify an R/C brushless ESC to work at 170 volts? The starter would only need turn a constant 100+ rpm. Any other ideas on this?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Expensive VFD's are likely beyond my budget. I could use the 12VDC to 170VDC converter from an old inverter, and maybe lower it somewhat to power the circuit. Would it be possible to modify an R/C brushless ESC to work at 170 volts?
Here's an idea: You used 4 acronyms in 2 sentences. I got the easy one, but it might help to explain the rest.

trueblue2k2

Joined Feb 7, 2011
Expensive VFD's (variable frequency drive) are likely beyond my budget. I could use the 12VDC to 170VDC converter from an old inverter, and maybe lower it somewhat to power the circuit. Would it be possible to modify an R/C (hobby remote control) brushless ESC (electronic speed control) to work at 170 volts?

A variable frequency drive is an accessory for a three phase AC motor that allows it's speed to be adjusted over a wide range. It must match motor specs.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=vfd

A brushless electronic speed control is made to power a three phase hobby motor from stopped to full speed using rechargeable batteries. It must match motor specs also.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...Speed+Controllers&idCategory=61&ParentCat=182

Hope this helps.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It helps me realize I can't help. But I'm pretty sure I saw a thread here on running a 3-phase generator as a motor, so I'll bet somebody here knows how to help you.