inverter construction and operation

ak52

Joined Oct 15, 2014
Hello Everyone,
I recently finished making a solar charge controller .Thank you for all your help guys for helping me along the way.My charger works perfectly and i am very happy with it. :)

Currently this is my setup at my home

PV panels ==>charger==>batteries(tubular Pb acid)<===>inverter(inverter also has a direct grid connection for charging batteries,in the absence of solar energy)

I would like to take it to the next step and design an inverter.
Please bare in mind,i am a complete beginner in inverter design and would like as much help as possible from you guys.
I'll start with some very basic doubts and build my way up to more complex questions :)

1.Hardware point of view,for switching it is better to go for MOSFETs or IGBTs?
2.What king of cooloing systems are usually used for cooling the MOSFETs/IGBTs?(FANs,heatsinks,,water cooled,liquid nitrogen etc..?)
3.Software point of view,whats the most efficient way to generate a sine wave,i am assuming it is by using look up tables?
4.How to i detect low/under voltage,over current spikes and if possible try to regulate it as much as possible.

If any of you have any study material that i can look up please post a link to them in here.
Thanks in advance,
AK

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
a three step square wave, or a bipolar square wave with a dead space between, would be a good waveform to drive a transformer. 1. it is easy to generate. 2. it will form an acceptable sinewave at the transformer output.
the need for true sinewave output is an overstated sales point. you need to avail yourself of the info found on this subject at places like google :)

1) A multistep square wave (3-4) can be used. More number of steps = closer to sine wave but more complex
2) IGBT is slightly better than MOSFET (lower power) . You get both for high power ratings.
This link may help you choose the right Transistor http://www.irf.com/technical-info/whitepaper/choosewisely.pdf

3) Cooling entirely depends on the input power. I think a cooling fan and heatsinks can get the cooling done. Water cooling and other methods increase the cost and complexity ( if those are your parameters)