Intuitive Approach to Circuits

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
These have replies have a theme of "you are lazy" or "you are stupid". The latter is true, but I am not lazy. I just have no motivation to learn any of this stuff because I see no application. I have no problem learning when motivated either internally (Fun ~ Spanish, Chinese, Python, Guitar, Piano) or externally (Salary ~ Matlab, C++, writing, math, various aspects of the internal motivations above, etc.).

To me, the applications of the EE I am learning are not obvious. It is somewhat interesting, but if it doesn't pay, there are plenty of things much more interesting. I guess I don't see how knowing this stuff would benefit a company and in turn benefit me. That is the reason I am considering software engineering. To me, the applications of software immediately jump out. I use software every day, I browse the internet, I use applications, etc.

It seems like this analog stuff is going out the window. Please give me examples of where it's not!! If there are still applicable uses, I would love to stay in the field. For instance take filters. Can't a digital filter through software do everything an analog filter can and more?? Or Signal processing, or an audio synthesizer, etc.

Maybe it is because I haven't taken enough classes yet. To give you an idea of where I am at, I have taken three circuits classes (Ohms Law, KVL, Phasors, Power, Laplace Transform, Fourier Transform) and two electronics classes (Basic knowledge of BJTs, MOSFETs, current mirrors, differential amplifiers, and a little on digital IC design)

Thanks so much. As much as I am trying not to, I realize from your replies that I am coming off as a complete moron and know-nothing kid, but that's exactly what I am; I am seeking guidance of you people that know so much more than me. Sincere thanks!!
You can take this as just as BS from a old fart, but, if your trying to learn this for a job and don't have a desire for it, change now to something you love!

If your just doing a job because someone told you it paid good, but you hate it, your life will be miserable. You will wake up every morning and force your self to go to work. It's much better to make less money loving what you do, than to make more but despise it.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I think that If some one post on this forum they have
some level of computer experience,that don't translant
to electronic knowledge. They don't know what to ask for,
so we get an editorial on our forum. Thanks Guys

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I never suggested "lazy" or "stupid". IMHO your quest for an alternate path was misguided and had a low probability of success. It is interesting to ponder on the scientific method for a moment. The intuition part is the formation of a hypothesis. This is the essential first step. The remaining steps involve the design of an experiment, the collection of data, analysis of the data, and finally a confirmation or rejection of the hypothesis. In order to competently execute this process you need a breadth of experience in things which may or may not have any immediate practical value. Over 45 years I've forgotten many things that I learned, but I do remember things when they become important.

I'll give you an example. Many people on this board are fond of using and applying the 555 timer chip. This chip goes back at least to the 1970's. In an engineering career of 45 years I've never found a reason to use one. I do know how they work, and I could use one, but I never found a project where it was the preferred solution because there were always better alternatives. That's just the way it is. I don't regret having learned about the chip or spent time going through the behavior and the equations. It was a valuable learning experience for the sake of learning.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I agree you don't have to do all this stuff to to be in the right
place at the right time.What you with your time is different from
others. You don't have to be on first,to come in first.You can be
the catcher or ump,or the owner manager. You can hit a foul ball
or hit a home run. Listen to the fans cheer,we are here thats what
counts. We are accepted for what we stand for,one of the guys
on the forum.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
As a teen I started by building circuit other people designed. It gave me a good feel of circuits. If you want to call this intuition you can, but it doesn't allow you to design well.

To create something new that has a chance of working there is no substitute for math.

I got into electronics because I really, really enjoy it.

hobbyist

Joined Aug 10, 2008
Hi,

You want to have projects to enhance your learning in this field.

This is guaranteed to peek your interest in circuit design, as well as provide a challenge and best of all you get to learn by doing reseaerch prototyping testing and evaluating,

and the reward of helping people with circuit design problems.

Here it is:

First to start out with easy things you already know about,

visit the "HOMEWORK SECTION" on this forum, and look at how you can share what you learned to help others in the same place you once where, at.

second:

You wanna do some prototyping with a purpose.

Visit the "PROJECTS FORUM" on this forum, to have a challenge in designing something someone actually has a need for, and how you can help them as well.

This is guaranted to keep your learning curve peeked with new challenges for practical everyday real life needed designs.

Have FUN with it...

circuitG

Joined Mar 18, 2010
Conceptual Physics by Paul G. Hewitt...this guy has videos on youtube too. not sure how many are about electronics though

Feynman Lectures by Richard P. Feynman

If you are as eager as you post sounds, you will LOVE these two. I do.

and of course the textbook provided on this forum is very helpful if you already have some basic understanding

also, check out this: http://www.youtube.com/user/nptelhrd
if you can get over the accents, not a bad resource at all.

I am in third year engineering and now exactly how you feel. I still won't trust myself to design fading Christmas lights. I turned my head around and am now paying extra attention to circuits and calculus