introduction to mobile telecommunication

AHMARAFAH

Joined Jul 11, 2006
Hi every body,
Can any one please,guide me to information resources per mobile telecommunication to aid me understanding mobile telecommunication systems such as:
GSM,GPRS,EDGE and UMTS
thanks in advance

AHMARAFAH

Joined Jul 11, 2006
Hello Dave,
Thank you very much for your time and help.If it's possible can you please,guide me to a book or any thing else,inorder to build up my knowlege from basics until reach to somewhat good level,
Thanks again,wating for your seriously action

You should Google each of your terms for information:
Global System for Mobile Communications

General Packet Radio Service

EDGE Technology

Universal Mobile Telecommunications System

Is there anything specific you wish to know about these technologies?

I will also move this to the Network and Communications forums where it is better suited.

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Hi AHMARAFAH,

The book that I recall was widely recommended in Digital and Wireless Communications courses at University was Mobile Communication Systems by Krzysztof Wesoĺowski. It covers GSM, GPRS and UMTS in a reasonable level of detail including good descriptions and diagrams, however since EDGE technolgy is a somewhat newer area, this book (like many books in this field) doesn't cover it. You are best doing a Google search for EDGE "GSM Evolution" to gain a wider understanding of this area.

There are a few other books that may be of use, but I cannot recall them at this moment. If I can dig out my notes I will let you know.

Dave

AHMARAFAH

Joined Jul 11, 2006
Hi Dave,
Thank you very much.It sounds that the book you recommended has very rich information that i need.
Thanks again for your time,and you're welcome

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Other recommended textbooks for introductory and advanced courses in digital/wireless communications are:

Digital Communications - B.Skiar

Modern Digital and Analog Communication Systems - B.P.Lathi

Digital Communications - J.Proakis

I cannot personnally recommend any of these texts since I haven't experience of using them, although a collegue does recommend all three as a reference. For the range of subjects you have stated, the book in my previous post is probably the best all round.

Dave