Interprocess communication

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011
Interprocess communication for real time operating system

Interprocess communication is process of operating system that allow one process to communicate with another process

or

Interprocess communication is process that allow exchange of data between two process

I am little bit confused which one statement is correct ?

vead

Joined Nov 24, 2011

Interprocess communication is process of operating system that allow one process to communicate with another processes

for example - email , chatting

that means we can send message from one os to another

shared memory - it can be in the form of shared memory
queue - it can be in the form of queue
mail box - it can be in the form of message

I don't understand what is shared memory , queue and mail message
can someone help me to understand inter process communication for RTOS

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Shared memory is just like it sounds - memory that is shared among the two processes.

Each process has the ability to read and write to the shared memory, effectively allowing data to be shared between the two (e.g. writing a block with a common data structure from one process and reading it into another allows the data to be passed from one to another)

A mailbox is similar to the mail service - if you know the address of someone (the mailbox handle), you can send them mail (data). These are typically slower and smaller than using shared memory, but typically has built in error checking and semaphore handling.

The queue is similar (and is sometimes used to implement the mailbox). The queue can be implemented as a memory block with a specified data structure such that a transmitter transmits a message to the queue and a subscriber take the data of the queue, which doesn't necessarily happen synchronously.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010

Interprocess communication is process of operating system that allow one process to communicate with another process

or

Interprocess communication is process that allow exchange of data between two process

I am little bit confused which one statement is correct ?
I agree that both are correct.

Strictly from a semantics point of view, interprocess communication is communication between two or more processes. Communication within a process would be called "intraprocess communication."