internships and volunteering ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Places I want to gain work experience in is

1) auto body experiences (fixings dents/bondo/filler , fixing glass , painting )
2) engine (cars , boats ,...) experiences (working on them)
3) Building experiences (electrical ,plumbing ,hvac, carpenter.... more applying those skills to industry/commercial building as opposed to home residential building ) "whole different ball game then just working on residential/home settings I would imagine"
4) culinary arts (food making in a professional or industrial kitchen)

Currently I don't have the money to go back to a trade school to get a degree and to tell you the truth I feel pretty confident that I know all the information and would just be wasting time. What I need is the hands on side of things i.e somebody to walk me thru it or supervise me/mentor me for a short while. Does any body want a helping hand for free for a while? Or know where one could intern/volunteer for these skill sets/fields

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Look for a street corner in your community with a large of immigrant population standing around. Go stand with them. When a truck stops and a guy yells out what kind of help he needs that day, just jump in the back of his truck. You will learn how (and how not) to do a lot of things. You might even get paid a few dollars per hour.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Places I want to gain work experience in is

1) auto body experiences (fixings dents/bondo/filler , fixing glass , painting )
2) engine (cars , boats ,...) experiences (working on them)
3) Building experiences (electrical ,plumbing ,hvac, carpenter.... more applying those skills to industry/commercial building as opposed to home residential building ) "whole different ball game then just working on residential/home settings I would imagine"
4) culinary arts (food making in a professional or industrial kitchen)

Currently I don't have the money to go back to a trade school to get a degree and to tell you the truth I feel pretty confident that I know all the information and would just be wasting time. What I need is the hands on side of things i.e somebody to walk me thru it or supervise me/mentor me for a short while. Does any body want a helping hand for free for a while? Or know where one could intern/volunteer for these skill sets/fields
How old are you ????

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
I was in your shoes, a lifetime ago ... Circa 1960

Finding a mentor-type, was a helluva lot easier then, than it is now, likely due to insurance companies :mad: and this sue-crazy society we are saddled with. Harder now, but not impossible...

Before I ramble on, let us know, how old you are, and a list of your marketable skills acquired so far... There are a lot of the veterans on this forum that are virtual saints helping the novice... I'm one... novice that is :D

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Gopher's answer seems odd, but I like it. I painted houses, hung drywall, worked a parts counter, assembled Eico oscilloscope kits for my mentor, fixed faucets, framed sheds, and rebuilt a few car engines. (Still couldn't get Bondo straight with a steel ruler or cook a soufflé.) All of it was good experience, regardless of how awfully slow I was at learning the manual dexterity. If my truck breaks on the way to a service call, I can usually fix it. If I step through a ceiling, I can frame the hole, patch it well and correctly, and paint the patch. I'm still so slow that I charge with a flat rate book instead of by the hour, but I can do so many of the odd jobs that you don't think about until you have to do one, like sheet metal work for project boxes.

I guess I'm saying you don't have to be fast and good at everything, just be able and you can get it done without hiring a pro who will eat up most of the profits on a $2000 job for 90 minutes of doing his specialty.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ 12 , I picked up Zenith plasma T.V. no remote ,today I was given a Zenith c d player

with remote ,it has a t.v. button on it.....will see if my T.V. will take off. The plasma

screen has some marks on the front ,any sugestion on marked front ,any plastic

fill-in you know of from experience. Any midnight specials ,fix all.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
I have two trustworthy things that Àre.new.....but most people i meet are distant

no extra help with anything ....people are loners with a plan ...pulling there cart

on wheels..i pad.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Check job search sites for "internships". LinkedIn also has a good job search function. I think that's a good place to start.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Does anybody know if there is an equivalent program I can sign up for ... for cars like there is for building homes (habitat for humanity ) ???
There should be a car for humanity program which would allow interested volunteers to gain experience in fixing cars autobody and engine/mechanic experiences.

And it could be that some junk yards could donate a few cars for charitable donation and the volunteers could gain experience fixing them under supervision and in the end the car could be given to a person in need.

If something exists like this please let me know I would definitely be the first to volunteer for this experience as I know the theory of it all I just haven't had the opportunity to do the hands on for the most part yet.

Would also be cool if there was vehicle for humanity not restricting to cars but more general any old vehicle bus , ATV , motorcycle , boat ... etc this way people could learn by volunteering there is no strings attached and the supervisors/teaches could watch for talent or select who they want from actually seeing them work for free. :) ( the other side would be the volunteer can learn or gain as much experience so he is at the top of the field if he wants to be or he could just walk away if he was uninterested/didn't like it)

I.e No employ bullshit forms , no drug test , just get in and do it but obey/respect the supervisor/mentor for the particular opportunity while it is occurring. ( that is if one is learning/being taught something even if you can eventually do it better obey the instructors teaching don't make conflict or hassles he/she is nice enough to give you his knowledge/abilities.

Last edited:

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
And one thing is from what I understand there is a difference between volunteering and internships. Some internships are paid but others are not and usually the big defining factor is internships are usually given to students or people going into the field or area. Volunteer would more be for enthusiastic people that have a lot of knowledge on that particular subject and want to gain hands on experience (or people that have no knowledge and are just interested in learning something new )

But yeah if they would take a random talented volunteer for an internship I would be all over that s h I t (like a duck on a June bug)

Knowledge on almost anything is free thanks to the internet (i.e being an subject theory/matter expert is free :) )
But until there is a free way to gain hands on experiences on subjects that require them you only won half the battle sort of speak.
The point is any one should have the ability to learn and gain experience to any level they would like to take it (in any subject area) without any burdens only the burdens put on himself by himself.... everybody gets a fair/equal opportunity to learn/gain experience it is the person himself that has to decided how far he wants to go down the rabbit hole :)
So having a volunteer instructor for each area of hands on experience one could want to gain experience on should be available. logically we have the dollar store for people with less money then others why not have the same for gaining knowledge/experiences i.e no restrictions on who can or can't learn/gain experiences.

it boils down to money vs good will I wonder what people will choose. since going my way everybody gets a reasonably great quality of life by just helping others (and probably having fun doing it because its all volunteer work)
I am willing to bet if I was granted the ability to go around learning new skills , teaching my skills to others, and volunteer working in various fields across the board in return for a reasonably great quality of life. I would do it and I am just imaging how many people/things I could help/fix to me it would be more of how much I can do as opposed to worrying about money or what people think of me , or arguments on orders or boss bullshit,....etc etc I will never have a boss per say I don't take orders I give orders but I can follow orders from somebody when the orders are right.

As such I can proof by example that if others went down the same path that I was granted the world some day could be transitioned into people willing to help out, learn , work ,...etc for free just because they want to have an adventure or satisfy there curiosity of life without the restraints of things like money , social stature ... etc. And for the people that are lazy or don't want to do stuff that's ok since that just makes more of an adventure for us. And eventually we may become the lazy ones at times and the others may feel the need for an adventure.

But then again with all the political different ideologies with the history of each maybe I am wrong and there is something that will go more wrong then the money system with my system. ( Would say though wouldn't hurt to try a change :) )
And the stuff that we can't interest people to do or don't have enough interest in we simple have the people build a robotic/computerized process to do the work for us in those few areas that we lack the peoples interest in if they arise ever.

Its about being passionate or interested things (or wanting to improve , or do a task over and over again because you like it ...etc)

Almost everything can be made into an algorithmic process that a computer could do faster or better then a human anyway but the point would be the interest/feeling experienced by the person out weighs the progress one could obtain by a computer equivalent. Of course one could also be curious about seeing what the computer could do as well we are going to reach a point very soon where one could chose to do nothing knowing that everything can be done better by a computer to some extent and there is nothing really to learn since one could always look it up on the internet and just rot away ....or do tasks that still bring joy regardless of not being as efficient as the computer counterpart (i.e the adventure).

1)I guess the important question would be finding what you believe is the purpose of your life and living it.
2)As well as finding the person that you want to spend your life with if any.
I think volunteer working / teaching / learning new skills is mine for 1) the question is will society let me live it.
As for 2) I hope it even exists

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Off-Topic 20