Internet server

Zatnikitelman

Joined Jul 17, 2005
I am looking to build a server for hosting an online game I am planning. I am unsure how to proceed, I have googled it, but have mostly gotten how to install software and such.
Thanks,
Matt

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
A server is any computer running server software. What are the system requirements for your game? What are the system requirements for your server software?

Zatnikitelman

Joined Jul 17, 2005
Well, I am not exactly sure what the system requirements are. I will be coding my own PHP and MySQL. It is a text based browser game. I hope to eventually have thousands of people playing (like Stargatewars.com) with each person needing to "store" possibly thousands of lines of database code along with the game itself.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
It might sound a lame suggestion but have you looked into the available commercial possiblities for a server, i.e. a high-end machine suitable for server applications. I presume you will be hoping to implement this game on a subscription-based model, so therefore if you believe that you could justify the returns you could look at investing in a dedicated server that you can recoupe the cost of over time. It will probably be more reliable investment over time and save you a lot of mither.

Dave

Zatnikitelman

Joined Jul 17, 2005
Actually, it will be free. That way I can put a big fat disclaimer and not have to worry too much about cpyrights and such. I was hoping to be able to buy piecemeal down to the last IC so I don't have to pay for brand names or warranties and stuff that I really don't need.