internet explorer(version 7) help

ees1

Joined Jan 7, 2008
hi, does anyone know how to switch the location between the address bar and back/forward buttons? I have hard time to move them because I remember I did once, but new computer didn't let me do it.

Thanks....

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
AFAIK it isn't possible in IE7 without playing with the registry. Even then it might not be possible, the only hack I know of is moving the menu bar above the address bar.

Dave

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
I'm still trying to get the evil thing out of my computer. I thought I got last time, it popped up again this morning.

I had a lot of problems IE7 (other than its a Microsoft product, security issues, HD hog 'not Harley Davison either'. Don't remember being able move stuff around, just add or remove.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
I'm still trying to get the evil thing out of my computer. I thought I got last time, it popped up again this morning.

I had a lot of problems IE7 (other than its a Microsoft product, security issues, HD hog 'not Harley Davison either'. Don't remember being able move stuff around, just add or remove.
If you are on XP just remove it via add/remove programs and it should revert back to IE6. Obviously, you are stuck with it if you have Vista.

Incidentally, IE7 install on XP has problems with some security software (AV, firewalls) that lock some core Registry settings. IE7 needs to modify these and some security software will not allow it. The only way to get a good install is to turn the security software off and switch the Windows Firewall on. Once the install completes, turn your security software back on.

Additionally, for you own benefit, I wouldn't use IE6. Either get used to IE7 (it is much better), or use another non-IE based browser.

Dave

ees1

Joined Jan 7, 2008
thank you guys. I agree with all of your comments. I'm using vista, and it is not nice for me to play the back and forward buttons at the left side corners. I guess I have to get used it. :mad:

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
thank you guys. I agree with all of your comments. I'm using vista, and it is not nice for me to play the back and forward buttons at the left side corners. I guess I have to get used it. :mad:
Yes, it may be a case of getting used to the new UI layout in Vista. I have got used to it now, although I don't use IE.

Someone has suggested it to MS: http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...&dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

However, since this was nearly 2 years ago I doubt anything will officially change. I'm not aware of any tweakers coming up with a solution.

Dave

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hold your breath - as of two weeks ago, the Vista SP1 revision had got to Beta .744 stage. Things may look different in a few months including IE7.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Vista SP1 is now RTM - it's final and existing Vista users should expect it sometime in March-through-May, provided you do not have some of the problematic hardware that is incompatible with SP1. AFAIK from reading the description there are no fundamental changes to IE (other than security roll-ups). There is rumour of IE8 on the horizon, one suspects because of MSes current anti-trust predicaments.

Dave