Interfacing to P port through MAX 232

chrischristian

Joined Feb 22, 2008
Can any one tell this that after using MAX 232 will I need any extra softwere like UserPort to inter face with microcontoler and if I do need that then let me tell you that it is not working fo me in XP and C, C++ and DOS get stuck plese tell me what I should do? I am still learning C so you can imagine how ameture I am.

chrischristian

Joined Feb 22, 2008
Soory! if you did not get the quastion that was really some what awkward, well here is the well written one .
I want to access my PC parallel port but I have Win XP which does not allow direct interface with the port. Now, I have tried some freeware which said to be useful to access P port in XP such as USER PORT but, after installing this my C/C++ and DOS got hanged. Now I have heard about MAX 232 IC which is used for P port interfacing but, I would like to know that even after using this IC will I need any software like USER PORT to interface with P port, if you have any suggestion then please!!

n9352527

Joined Oct 14, 2005
MAX232 is used for interfacing to serial port and not parallel port. Anyway, whatever hardware you use to interface to parallel port, you still have to go through the pain of accessing the parallel port directly under WinXP.

If you are not particular to parallel port, serial port is sure much easier to access in XP.