Interfacing Picaxe 14M2 to a 1602 PCF8574 IIC I2C TWI SPI Serial Interface Board Port LCD1602

GaetanoC

Joined Mar 25, 2021
Hello All,
My name is Gaetano, I am trying to use a picaxe 14M2 to interface with the PCF8574 IIC I2C TWI SPI Serial Interface Board Port LCD1602. This LCD is designed for Arduino, but I am trying to find a way to communicate to the LCD through the PCF857 using 'Basic language', which is what is used to program the picaxe. I have seen the post and tutorial from September 22, 2015 by Charles R. Hampton Using a Serial LCD with a PICAXE on this forum. Unfortunately the tutorial refers to a different processor chip. I was wondering anyone has had experience in interfacing with the LCD 1602 using a picaxe, and if they would consider providing me with some guidance and help, thank you.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
On page 10, there is a short section on running the display in I2C mode. That is what I was thinking of, not you buying the unit.
That tiny bit of code may help you to run the cheap I2C LCD.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Just note the I2C address may be wrong, and the bit pattern used to drive the LCD will need to suit the hardware.
It MAY be like this....
1646349277416.png

GaetanoC

Joined Mar 25, 2021
Oh boy, I am not trained in electronics; this is going to be a steep learning curve for me. Thank you for you continued help, I really appreciate it.:)

GaetanoC

Joined Mar 25, 2021
I have not read this all, and do not have a Pickaxe to try it on, but there looks to be a lot of info here, as welll as en example.
https://picaxeforum.co.uk/threads/picaxe-18m2-and-i2c-lcd-16x2-display.23471/
Hello dendad, thank you for all of your time and help that you gave me. I spent about 5 hours today, looking through your suggestions and more on similar forums. I could not get the LCD screen to display anything. I know it is beyond me and also, perhaps the LCD 1602 i2c is not designed to communicate with the picaxe micro controller.

GaetanoC

Joined Mar 25, 2021
If you have an Arduino, try to get it going on that to see if it is ok.
I do have an Arduino, where I teach, we use a lot of Picaxe. I really wanted to get the LCD to work with the picaxe for the reason that the picaxe does not libraries, which requires the knowledge of how to write the code. I won't give up (yet) and will work on the Arduino for now. Thank you again for all of your help, much appreciated.