interface

assassinelec

Joined Mar 22, 2011
hi all,

i need to interface between an electrical circuit and a laptop, so i can take the signal into the computer via a serial port, is there any way to do it? or any interface available in industry i can buy it to do that, cuz am looking for it till now for two weeks and still can't find it, any help would be appreciated.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
What signal are you trying to input?
Does it have to be RS-232, as RS-232 has been on the way out for awhile now - USB, Firewire, and other interfaces have replaced RS-232.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008

assassinelec

Joined Mar 22, 2011
thanx really for replying, i finally found the interface circuit

http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/an/AN827.pdf

plz guys take a quick look on it, its a simple circuit but i have some trivial questions about the circuit

-at the output (the PC serial port part) what does "D8-D9 CONN" means? , and what about the remaining bins in serial port (unconnected pins)?

-what is the maximum acceptable frequency that can be processed by this circuit ?

i really need some help in those questions am trying right now to find the answers...any help would be appreciated

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
thanx really for replying, i finally found the interface circuit

http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/an/AN827.pdf

plz guys take a quick look on it, its a simple circuit but i have some trivial questions about the circuit

-at the output (the PC serial port part) what does "D8-D9 CONN" means?
The connector for RS-232 is usually a DB-9 connector, so called because it looks more or less like a "D" when looking directly at the pins or sockets, and has 9 pins or sockets. In the old days, it was a DB-25 connector.
and what about the remaining bins in serial port (unconnected pins)?
They are unused.

-what is the maximum acceptable frequency that can be processed by this circuit ?
That will depend upon your laptop's hardware. Some went up to around 115k baud. Some are limited to 9600 baud (roughly, bits per second).

i really need some help in those questions am trying right now to find the answers...any help would be appreciated
You will have to look at your hardware specifications.

USB ports are far faster.

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
Why not get an Arduino. It is overkill ( perhaps ) but is very general purpose and you would have a tool for many other projects. And since your project is so undefined, it might adapt to what you want. Most work out of the box with usb on most os's.