Interesting

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
So now even the light bulbs are going to spy on us with massive data transfer rates? :eek:

Where did I put my tinfoil hat? ;)
I've tried to figure out where and how this would be a good application?

My first thought was for our smart rooms at the University, we have two 70" displays in the front of the room. They are equipped with a network receive box made by AMX that works in conjunction with a network port on the Video Switcher.

I have 6 Send Video network boxes in the podium. Sources include Room Comp, Laptop DVI, Laptop VGA, Bluray. Not to mention audio.

There are 3 HD Cameras 2 student in the front facing students and 1 professor, plus a Document Camera in the Ceiling. The professors camera is only 15 feet to the control room but all the rest required a Network Send Box being in the front of the room.

Now on top of that are 30 microphones, some call them puck mic's for the students, I could install wireless mic's but if again they were line of site and the Mic had a series parallel rail to power the mic's they may be able to send audio without a Physical connection to the control room.

I'm not sure how many possible installation this may work in? I'm not sure about residential installations and I still don't know how they are controlling the lights, fiber etc.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
LED lightbulbs are going to have to take over first though, which is going to eventually happen, but not yet. It is indeed practical to have a fast one way link and a slow return link, we currently have something similar with the existing internet connections.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Oh it will happen for sure. As the RF bandwidth gets used up they'll open up any new ways to connect including light comms and (gosh!) plug in connectivity.

And I would fully expect the light bandwidth to eventually be allocated too, different wavelengths of light and different carrier frequencies.