Interesting Materials to Replace Silicon

neos

Joined Aug 7, 2012

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Some of those may work, but I doubt they will be widely used in the near (depending upon how you define "near") future. It generally takes ten years or more for a new technology (even if it is viable) to be refined so that it has significant use.

I remember as a kid being fascinated about all the new amazing developments in science and technology reported in such magazines as Popular Science. I was quite few years older, after I never again heard about most of those things, that I realized that most of them, though appearing to be significant, where actually not practical or useful, and thus never used anywhere.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
A lot is kicked around of the two major methods of "growing " silicon crystals, and how chips constructed on single-crystal are so much better.
If so, I'm sure that circuit chip mfgrs would like to improve the methods of growing single crystals.
I wouldn't mind paying a premium for a virtually certified to work circuit made on continent, than some of the second rate reverse-engineered Bullmanure coming out of China, when in the case of a bad run of circuits, we have a grand total of NIL recourse with their mfgrs.

OK...........I'm an idealist.....what's your point ?? Sometimes I think we are spoiled to artificially "cheap" products, and need to rediscover quality.