Intentional Joke or Not, you decide?

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I think it is definitely intentional. What I can't tell for sure is whether photo-shopped after the fact or staged at the time of the photo.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
lol, you're right, I hoped it was intentional, since these guys make safety products ;)

I actually emailed them and asked, he got back to me and said it was a test to see if people 1) noticed 2) got offended or thought it was funny.

Steve

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
You can see the cut lines on the cord, which makes me think it was modified after the fact, not staged.

As for the humor, I have seen similar things work when the crux of the joke was not a particular type of person. An example was a room in which everyone had his glasses on upside down. Picking on a particular type (e.g., dumb blonds) is risky. The focus should be on selling product, not on trying to be cute.

If the cute burns the product into the potential customer's memory and is related to the product, e.g., the Budweiser ad with croaking frogs, then it can be effective. In the present case, the message seems to be more of a warning that should one need help with an order, you will be talking with a bimbo.

John

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
hehe, it was a pretty amusing picture, especially considering the mundane task of finding appropriate inrush current protection

One sentence he wrote says it all "We are just trying to bring a little levity to this very turbulent world."

Steve

PS - 1000th POST :D

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
hehe, it was a pretty amusing picture, especially considering the mundane task of finding appropriate inrush current protection

One sentence he wrote says it all "We are just trying to bring a little levity to this very turbulent world."

Steve
Said with sincerity and humour. Business should be more like that.

PS - 1000th POST :D
:eek: A badge of honour, or a badge of shame?! :D

Dave

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
That's the question! Did you ask yourself on each 1000 increment? Assuming you did, and kept on posting, you either have a complex in which you love the shame or it is simply for honour :p

Steve

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
That's the question! Did you ask yourself on each 1000 increment? Assuming you did, and kept on posting, you either have a complex in which you love the shame or it is simply for honour :p

Steve
Yes I did and I clearly love the shame! :p

(5 times over and counting!)

Dave

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Dave,

I hope moderators get a free appointment with a good therapist every 1000 posts :p

Steve
AAC is non-profit. The "good" therapist is me, and the appointment is every 10,000 posts!

Btw, you were third fastest (out of 16) to get to the magic mark. Bronze Medal for you! :D

Dave

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
Dave,

Clearly we both like to get the last word, and it is simply not going to happen. This exchange of remarks will have to continue.

They don't make a medal for 14/16th place, too bad.. Remember this is a shame competition, not speed.

Steve

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Dave,

Clearly we both like to get the last word, and it is simply not going to happen. This exchange of remarks will have to continue.
Steve, you are absolutely correct! If this continues I fully expect use to come the full circle and be talking about passing another 1000 posts! ;)

They don't make a medal for 14/16th place, too bad.. Remember this is a shame competition, not speed.

Steve
Speed is important - it exacerbates your shame (no jokes or innuendos please!)

Dave