instrument cluster coding algorithms

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
@rmoody What is it you actually want to do? No reason to buy it honestly.
info on corrections and conversions for clusters can be obtained freely on forums that are more specific for this type of work. Other then that its all just learned from experience. Also like @Back to school mentions if your just looking for KM to M or vice versa a lot of models you can simply pres a few buttons in the options menu or do it via scan tool. .

Last edited:

Deleted member 682046

Joined Dec 31, 1969
I want to do nothing special. I just feel if someone has spent days, months, years etc collecting information that cannot easily be found, why not give them a little something for it. I also understand you can swap Kilo to miles using scan tool or cluster but sometimes you can't. I like to know little things, like if I add a trans temp gauge to a 05-07 chevy cluster I can load up eprom dump and goto line 50 position 9 of hex code and change 03 to 42. I don't want to search through forums while a customer is waiting .If I can give someone a little something that will save me time I,m saving money. Don't get me wrong I understand what you're saying and you are 100% correct .

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
That is why there are forums for people that do that kind of stuff. I don't think it should be general knowledge put out there to the public but kept in private forums for people or businesses that do that kind of stuff. People like @narkeleptk, myself and others spend countless hours doing this stuff to reverse engineer drawings and decode bin files so that we learn. The OEM on the other hand don't want you to know anything. If you do this stuff seriously and have information to offer, reciprocation on forums is free. We call it sharing and it is a two way street. People in our industry need to help each other.

Deleted member 682046

Joined Dec 31, 1969
But it is general knowledge put out to public ,because anyone can join. This is not a private forum. People use these forums to get this information for free. I guess you don't understand what I'm getting at but thats ok. I thing this post has gotten way off track anyway. If this is a serous forum the last few posts will be deleted as they contain unrelated content. I guess we'll see.......

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
I wasn't referring to this forum actually. I belong to a number of forums that are private and openly share information that doesn't belong in the public. I don't think it is good for everyone to know how to change mileage on a vehicle but it is helpful for people that work in that industry. That is just one example. If you are one of those that repair clusters etc, and you are looking for info, this is not the forum for you. There used to be an automotive forum which has since been removed and now it is more broad based electronics.

Last edited:

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
I joined this forum a long time ago and there was a lot of kickback on automotive back then. I was surprised and elated when they finally gave in and made an actual thread strictly for automotive and thought wow, we finally get some recognition. Now the new regime has kicked in and out goes the automotive forum again. It kind of saddens me when you think about all the electronics available on vehicles, programming etc and it all blends in with what goes on here. This could be a bigger audience if they wanted it to work. Back in the closet we go.

I want to do nothing special. I just feel if someone has spent days, months, years etc collecting information that cannot easily be found, why not give them a little something for it. I also understand you can swap Kilo to miles using scan tool or cluster but sometimes you can't. I like to know little things, like if I add a trans temp gauge to a 05-07 chevy cluster I can load up eprom dump and goto line 50 position 9 of hex code and change 03 to 42. I don't want to search through forums while a customer is waiting .If I can give someone a little something that will save me time I,m saving money. Don't get me wrong I understand what you're saying and you are 100% correct .
First off, your question assumes you can add this sensor to you ECU. That's not always the case and for an 05-07 Chevy I don't know if it is or isn't possible. But assuming you can add the temperature sensor it's not as simple as just adding a sensor circuit to the input side of the ECU. I don't pretend to understand all of this but the CAN\Bus protocols operate with more required information than just adding the sensor. One required protocol to add is the priority the sensor is given to operate at. The vehicle limp home mode is an example of information priority. Most sensors also run within a cluster or shared information protocol. Otherwise there's no reason to not just add a stand alone trans temp gauge. Typically trans temp would be tied to RPM's, torque sensors, traction control, LSD if applicable, etc. You would have to write your own protocols to adapt the temp gauge to work within the operating limits of these other sensors. If you adapt the gauge to operate outside of the existing limits it may not work or it may foul up the clustered protocols. Who knows? There's more to it than just adding the gauge.