install a vanity bathroom sink top?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mathematics!, Feb 22, 2010.

  1. Mathematics!

    Thread Starter Senior Member

    Jul 21, 2008
    Ok , I bought a sink top along with the sink bottom when I put the sink top onto the top of the sink bottom. It is not fully level ...
    I am wondering if this is a defect in the product or if when you ably the silicon caulking this will fix the problem.

    The top is made of granite and I know they cut these right out of rock so it stands to reason their are always going to be tiny imperfections.
    So if the silicon caulking between the 2 layers will fix it then I am fine.
    But I don't want to try it until I am sure does anybody have any ideas?

    The top is PREGASUS luxury at hand granite vanity top 37" vanity top , fits 36" W x 21" D Vanity
    143 904 Beige

    I cann't find a link to it but these are similar pictures of what it should look like


    Bought it at home depot
    Was just wondering if they are suppose to fit perfect or if the silicon caulking straightens this out or some other substance or if it is truely a defect?

    Anybody with experience know for sure?
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  2. BMorse

    AAC Fanatic!

    Sep 26, 2009
    So are you saying the "counter top" does not sit level on the base? If so, is the base level? If not level the base then mount the counter top....
  3. Mathematics!

    Thread Starter Senior Member

    Jul 21, 2008
    I am saying that the sink top does not sit level on the sink bottom/base.
    The base is level to the floor more or less ( since the floor is not completely level it is level taking into account the floor)
    Besides I have stuck pads under it to level it to the floor.

    The only issue is the top to the sink base.
    I know you secure it will silicon caulking but I didn't know if silicon caulking is used to level the top to the base if so I will just ably silicon caulk to level it... but if it is not suppose to be used this way or if the bathroom sink top is suppose to be level all the time then I will take it back...

    Didn't know if the caulk was also for leveling or not to some degree...
    Such as floor leveler is for floors when putting down hard wood floors...

    Thanks hope you understand the problem now

    granite vanity top 37" I know they cut this stuff out of rocks so I don't know how precise this can be to initial fit before caulking?
  4. jpanhalt


    Jan 18, 2008
    Silicone caulk is used to seal. Shims are for leveling.

    Tapered wood pieces are most common, but a non-rusting metal can also be used. If something is uneven -- like a bump on the bottom of the sink top --, you can use a method called scribing. You basically transfer the outline of the "bump" to the wood base, then sand or grind the base to fit. The method is most often used to fit cabinets and splashboards against uneven walls. If you want a really tight fit, be sure to sand the piece with a slight (3°) draft angle away from the edge that shows.

    A drafting compass makes a nice tool for the scribing. One leg rides on the uneven surface, and the other leg (usually with a marker attached) rides on the surface that is to be sanded.

  5. retched

    AAC Fanatic!

    Dec 5, 2009
    How 'off' is the fit? are we talking a few mm or a cm or more?

    If you have a 4 foot level, or straight edge, run it over the top of the base cabinet. See how the 4 sides are level with each other. This is the most likely problem. The base cabinet can flex or shift out of level when using pads for level. jpanhalt is correct in the use of the shimming, the long triangular wooden shims are usually used for leveling. You do not want to use something too soft. Usually the shimming is done at the floor, then concealed with trim material.

    You want the sink to be as level as you can get it. They are (usually) designed so splashed water will return to the basin and not on the floor.

    If all is good with the base, at the floor, and it is the sink that is malformed, you can use shims between the sink bottom and the cabinet top. You CAN (if the gaps are small) cover them with just caulking. If they are a little to large for caulk (a cm or hopefully not more) then you want to shim, then fill caulk in the gap (so seal) and then pick out a nice trim molding to hide the flaw.

    This is SUPER COMMON practice in the remodeling universe. The same technique is used for just about everything.