Inrush current in ultracaps

Varkatzas

Joined Oct 22, 2012
Hi all,

I want to know how to calculate the inrush current due a ultracaps bank. This is because i'm designing a DC DC converter and i don't want to break the semiconductors. Is there a way to calculate it knowing the capacitance, ESR, voltages (ΔV) and switching frequency? Does the same procedure applies for normal capacitors?

Thanks a lot.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Hi all,

I want to know how to calculate the inrush current due a ultracaps bank. This is because i'm designing a DC DC converter and i don't want to break the semiconductors. Is there a way to calculate it knowing the capacitance, ESR, voltages (ΔV) and switching frequency? Does the same procedure applies for normal capacitors?

Thanks a lot.
It would appear that you could use the ESR to do this... if my understanding from a quick Wikipedia( :D ) search is correct, the current will be the voltage/ESR...

JDT

Joined Feb 12, 2009
It depends on the ESR of the capacitors, the resistance of the connections and the rate of rise of the applied voltage.

You will need to soft-start your DC to DC. Or have some kind of active current limiting.

Varkatzas

Joined Oct 22, 2012
Does the inrush current apply only to a capacitor in t=0 with Vc=0? If the cap is pre-charged to at least 1/4 of its rated voltage and then the voltage is increased, an inrush current is expected?

Thanks

bountyhunter

Joined Sep 7, 2009
Hi all,

Thanks a lot.
The design has to incorporate current limiting or soft-start which protects the converter during charge up or it won't survive. The best type is pulse-to-pulse limiting as used in a current mode converter.